Very large Embden geese

I met the Holderreads, VERY good people devoted to their breeding program, which is if not THE best for waterfowl, one of the best!

I don't have geese, but I did end up with a Holderreads duck second hand. The quality difference between him (a welsh harlequin drake) and my Metzer Hatchery girls is VERY noticeable. He is going to look fantastic when he gets his big boy feathers
big_smile.png

Lol Goosedragon... I'd actually appreciate it if you took quite a few off my hands. I have to take care of them while my brother is off at college all winter. I know he has an awesome trio of brown china, 3 extra white african ganders, a buff african hen, and possibly 4 youngsters that gotta go.

I do realize there are weight limits, but none of the judges seem to adhere to them. Its not just the geese.... some of the ducks and chickens seemed gigantic too. Someone had a dark brahma last year that needed a turkey cage.

Quote:
Sorry But I am not a lunker fan, maybe a huge African Gander to chase the school kids and to keep the goats in line.... I like flying geese. The pure joy they have flying around and honking to each other makes me want to join in.

I second that thought about the size,while admiring the large ones ,I picked the Roman Tufted because the ad said 10 to 12 pds.mine look plenty big enough. When I go out to feed them they all come around me making strange sounds like they are really hungry and hurry up and feed us now! It is a little intimidating(although they are sweet and I make a point of petting them at this time). Couldn't be so sure if they were huge.

Last edited:
What I find most amusing bout my flock is that the Roman Tufted hen is in love with the Pilgrim male, who's in love with the Embden females, while the Embden males seem to all love the Pilgrim females most. When I put eggs in the incubator I NEVER know what I'm going to get (although purebred Embdens are easy to identify at birth).

I have a lot of 'Tufted Pilgrims'. It seems the females keep the gray sex link trait along with the tufts from the Tufted Roman males. All in all, if I were to separate them to breed 'true', I would never sleep at night for all the calamity they'd cause and noise they'd make.

Quote:
I have just recieved my two Embden goslings from Murray McMurray Hatchery in Iowa, not sure exactly how large they will get but the hatchery claims they are the tallest breed of goose.

Quote:
I copied this directly from their web site. White Embden geese originated by the Em River in Germany and were first brought to the U.S. in 1821. They have the same massive appearance as the Toulouse, combined with a pure white color. They are a wonderful eating bird and easier to dress because of the white plumage. Expect fall weights of 20 pounds for males and 13 pounds for females. Excellent for purebred showing. LEG TAPE: If your birds were sexed and identified with colored tape, the tape can be removed upon receipt, or it will fall off within 14 days. Additional images - click to enlarge.

I know Holderread's in Oregon have show quality HUGE Embden geese, they don't sell eggs but will ship goslings anywhere.  They advertise their Embdens as

I bought a pair of American Lavender geese from them, and they have been super healthy, with correct conformation and yep, lavender feathers /img/smilies/tongue.png .  I am very pleased with them, and I met the Holderreads, VERY good people devoted to their breeding program, which is if not THE best for waterfowl, one of the best!

How are they for eggs?

Back
Top Bottom