Very new to this! Anxious but excited!

Beth8889

In the Brooder
May 6, 2018
So my husband and I wanted to get baby chicks for our daughters for a while now. We had so much going on the last year of our life including an early miscarriage, then being asked to adopt my baby cousin who was in foster care, and I gave birth to our rainbow baby 3 months ago. So needless to say, we didn't want to add any responsibilities to the mix. We were trying to wait until our older girls ages 7 and nearly 10 now, were old enough to understand how important it would be to take on raising baby chicks and taking care of them. Now, however, our almost 2 year old boy (whom we are fostering to adopt) and our 3 month old baby girl are not at an idea age to be around baby chicks and anything they may spread. I am the worrier of the family so I don't know why I didn't think about the health risks that can come along with this. But at the same time, I don't want my children to miss out on opportunities just because of fear.
That being said, if we wash our hands thoroughly after handling the chicks, do we still have to worry about anything the birds could spread?

Also, we have a barn to keep the chicks in, a brood, heating lamp, chick feeder and fount and we have medicated chick feed on the way. Is there anything we must know before the chicks arrive?

So my husband and I wanted to get baby chicks for our daughters for a while now. We had so much going on the last year of our life including an early miscarriage, then being asked to adopt my baby cousin who was in foster care, and I gave birth to our rainbow baby 3 months ago. So needless to say, we didn't want to add any responsibilities to the mix. We were trying to wait until our older girls ages 7 and nearly 10 now, were old enough to understand how important it would be to take on raising baby chicks and taking care of them. Now, however, our almost 2 year old boy (whom we are fostering to adopt) and our 3 month old baby girl are not at an idea age to be around baby chicks and anything they may spread. I am the worrier of the family so I don't know why I didn't think about the health risks that can come along with this. But at the same time, I don't want my children to miss out on opportunities just because of fear.
That being said, if we wash our hands thoroughly after handling the chicks, do we still have to worry about anything the birds could spread?

Also, we have a barn to keep the chicks in, a brood, heating lamp, chick feeder and fount and we have medicated chick feed on the way. Is there anything we must know before the chicks arrive?

Welcome to BYC! Sounds like your set for raising the little ones, kids always enjoy baby chicks! any ideas on what breeds you'll be getting and where you'll be getting them from?

Welcome to BYC! Sounds like your set for raising the little ones, kids always enjoy baby chicks! any ideas on what breeds you'll be getting and where you'll be getting them from?
We ordered them from a hatchery near us and the bree is Amerecauna (spey if spelling is wrong). We just ordered 10 though.

Actually hatchery stock ends up being EE's(Easter Eggers) who lay pastel colored eggs. I think the kids would really enjoy it.

You will be fine, raising chicks while you have babies in your home. Congratulations on both ventures!

That being said, I strongly and emphatically urge you to NOT brood those chicks in your home. They create a lot of dander which covers all surfaces, including vertical ones, no matter how vigilant you are about housekeeping. Chick dander is very hard on the lungs. I urge you to brood your chicks outdoors, right in their coop, and you can do so safely with a heating pad and a construction grade extension cord. You will need to take reasonable safety precautions to do so, but you would need to do that even if brooding chicks in your home. Your chicks will need a minimum of 2 s.f. in brooder by the time they are 2 - 3 weeks old, and the chickens will need 4 s.f. in coop to avoid disease and behavioral issues. Check the thread and articles written by @Blooie regarding brooding outdoors with a MHP heating pad.

Always wash your hands after tending the chicks. Simple enough precaution that goes without being said when ever handling any pet.

image.jpg
Sounds like your ready to go! I may have a few tips with having little kiddos and chickens. Muck boots (rain boots work) are great! All of us wear only our “muck” boots in the coop and run. The take them off and leave them on our covered porch. So there’s no chicken poo on our floors for the littles to get into. Also a designated “barn” coat or jacket is nice. The kids are often picking up our birds and get mud and likely poo on their jackets. I like that they can just that that jacket off and hang it on a hook. It’s easier than having them change clothes all the time.

Not only are chicks not kissable for common sense sanitary reasons. But getting any bird near the face is an invitation for injury. Birds of all species are attracted to bright and shiny objects, eyes and lips being the main attraction. My sister's parrot was once sitting on my shoulder. He grabbed my ear ring stud out of my ear and took off flying across the room doing a "human laugh of glee". He knew he was being naughty, and was very proud of himself.

Back
Top Bottom