???Very old girl with green watery poops

Waves

I feed chickens with italian pizza. No,I'm joking!
Apr 16, 2019
Centre of Italy
Hi all!
My chicken Mari is almost 10yy old and i observed this strange signs:

-she always wants to stay sat down in the ground
-she is a bit letargic (not so much, she is conscient and vigile) and she has relaxed muscles, like she has not much strenght
-she does watery trasparent stools with bright green or yellowish pieces in them.
(I will take a picture)

I know that she is old and probably tired of this very warm weather (i am in italy), but i'm sospicious about that poops. I have already checked her for mites or lices.

I love her...What do you think it could be?

This may be a sign she is passing away.
The poops look like that because she is not eating.
Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied.
When was the last time she laid an egg?
What breed is she?
Check her over for mites or lice.

This may be a sign she is passing away.
The poops look like that because she is not eating.
Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied.
When was the last time she laid an egg?
What breed is she?
Check her over for mites or lice.
I was fearing this but wanted to be sure that I was doing all the possibile to nake her be well...
They have the food dispenser avaible so I will check if she is eating regularly. It seems like her crop is nornally emptying.
I think she has not laid an egg for a few weeks: she incredibly laid almost an egg a day even at this age. She is an Isa brown, no lices at what can i see, and i treated preventevly her with permethrine something like two or three weeks ago.

This is the color of her poop (her butt is dirty because since the last year she doesn't pull out the poop strong enough to fall on the ground so some of that remains stuck. I periodically clean her butt).

The little green one
IMG-20220824-WA0001.jpg

This is how she stays when she is on her feet when she is pretty awake
IMG-20220824-WA0002.jpg
This when she is sad
IMG-20220824-WA0003.jpg

I think i will give her some garlic this evening, in case it could help her...?

I forgot to say that two days ago i trimmed her butt feathers to clean it, maybe this make her hurt? Before doing it, I cleaned the scissors with alcohol and disinfected the area with peroxide just in case.

I was fearing this but wanted to be sure that I was doing all the possibile to nake her be well...
They have the food dispenser avaible so I will check if she is eating regularly. It seems like her crop is nornally emptying.
I think she has not laid an egg for a few weeks: she incredibly laid almost an egg a day even at this age. She is an Isa brown, no lices at what can i see, and i treated preventevly her with permethrine something like two or three weeks ago.

This is the color of her poop (her butt is dirty because since the last year she doesn't pull out the poop strong enough to fall on the ground so some of that remains stuck. I periodically clean her butt).

The little green one
View attachment 3234492

This is how she stays when she is on her feet when she is pretty awake
View attachment 3234489
This when she is sad
View attachment 3234491

I think i will give her some garlic this evening, in case it could help her...?

I forgot to say that two days ago i trimmed her butt feathers to clean it, maybe this make her hurt? Before doing it, I cleaned the scissors with alcohol and disinfected the area with peroxide just in case.
Check her abdomen and see if its bloated at all.
She's and ISA Brown?! She's lived a long time for her breed!
Do try the garlic.
I don't think that trimming her feathers would cause her to be like this.

Check her abdomen and see if its bloated at all.
She's and ISA Brown?! She's lived a long time for her breed!
Do try the garlic.
I don't think that trimming her feathers would cause her to be like this.
Ok i will do it now and let you know. Thank you so much for your replies, yes she is my little miracle and I am very proud of her ❤️

Ok i will do it now and let you know. Thank you so much for your replies, yes she is my little miracle and I am very proud of her ❤️
Glad to help!
I had 3 ISAs and they all got sick and died, the oldest one was about 5 I think.
You are very lucky to have her!

Glad to help!
I had 3 ISAs and they all got sick and died, the oldest one was about 5 I think.
You are very lucky to have her!
All my other ISAs died of illness at pretty young age so I perfectly understand! :hugsMari survived to a heatstroke and to a respiratory virus that killed 4 of her sisters, and she strangely didn't catch the egg yolk peritonitis that killed the other two. She is like an iron-chicken 😅

So I went to check her...she was pretty sleepy but she was able to do a little run and to jump in the night coop. I think she is a little bloated between her butt and her legs, but it is nothing compared to the swelling that I saw in EYP cases. I am neither sure that it is a swelling and not some fat (she became "curvy" with the years 😜). She seems to be hungry but actually she seems tired for eating, she runs at the food and then peaks only a little of pieces and then she goes like in stand by mode.

This is a complete poop (sorry for the ugly pic)

IMG_20220824_203844.jpg

All my other ISAs died of illness at pretty young age so I perfectly understand! :hugsMari survived to a heatstroke and to a respiratory virus that killed 4 of her sisters, and she strangely didn't catch the egg yolk peritonitis that killed the other two. She is like an iron-chicken 😅

So I went to check her...she was pretty sleepy but she was able to do a little run and to jump in the night coop. I think she is a little bloated between her butt and her legs, but it is nothing compared to the swelling that I saw in EYP cases. I am neither sure that it is a swelling and not some fat (she became "curvy" with the years 😜). She seems to be hungry but actually she seems tired for eating, she runs at the food and then peaks only a little of pieces and then she goes like in stand by mode.

This is a complete poop (sorry for the ugly pic)

View attachment 3234574
The first ISA that died I don't know what it was, that was years ago and I hardly knew anything about chicken illnesses. The other two died from sour crop.

I'm not quite sure what's wrong. Keep an eye on her abdomen, if it starts to get more bloated I'll suspect ascites.

The first ISA that died I don't know what it was, that was years ago and I hardly knew anything about chicken illnesses. The other two died from sour crop.

I'm not quite sure what's wrong. Keep an eye on her abdomen, if it starts to get more bloated I'll suspect ascites.
Thank you so much, i will monitor her abdomen. ❤️ today she ate a scrambled egg with lot of pleisure. I think that she could have problems in eating by having a piece of the beak that is broken. There is a sort of ledge on it and maybe she struggles to grab the food pieces. i will let you know :hugs

Back
Top Bottom