Very sick young hen- no idea how to treat

gegebranton

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2019
My 6 month old laced Wyandotte hen (1 of 4 from same flock- other 3 are fine) cannot stand on her feet and doesn't appear to have wing or leg injuries. I have watched her decline for 5 days, but she's still hanging in there taking water from a syringe and eating when food is placed in front of her beak and something is passing through because she's still pooping.. 3 days ago, I felt every part of her looking for signs of injury/pain, and when I came to her neck, I noticed it felt "out of place"- twisted over to her left side and very "full and hard feeling". She flops forward onto her head and left side when I put her down. The man from whom I bought her suggested I get Corid into her water and see if that helps thinking bacterial infection. (I'm treating the entire flock with it prophylactically). Here it is the 5th day, and I just can't help but think she's in pain at this point from hunger and dehydration. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? They free range, and this just came out of the blue (but after another hen was attacked by something and left dead in the pen/wondering if the Wyandotte pecked around the carcass and got sick?) Wondering if I should put her down at this point.

Welcome to BYC, and sorry to hear about your 6 month old pullet. Has she been laying eggs up until now, and were they normal with hard shells? Can you insert one finger inside her vent about an inch to see if she is egg bound?

Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I wonder if she might have Mareks disease, since she is at the right age for it. It can cause different symptoms in each chicken, but lameness in one or both legs or a drooping wing, a twisted neck, wasting, eye changes, and tumors are all symptoms that might be seen. It is best diagnosed with a necropsy after death or culling, to test feather shafts or tumor tissue. Small tumors can grow along the sciatic nerves or anywhere else in the body.

Occasionally a reproductive disorder may be seen at this age. There are other diseases that could be possible as well. If you lose her or decide to put her down, I would contact your state vet to ask about getting a necropsy and testing. Here is a link with contact infor state vets:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

The man from whom I bought her suggested I get Corid into her water and see if that helps thinking bacterial infection. (I'm treating the entire flock with it prophylactically).

Here it is the 5th day, and I just can't help but think she's in pain at this point from hunger and dehydration.
Welcome To BYC

All good suggestions from Eggcessive. I agree it does sound like Marek's.

I do have a few questions for you:
How long have you had her?
When did she last lay an egg?
What do you feed your chickens?
Photos of her and the poop may be helpful or if you have video, upload it to youtube then provide us a link.

The Corid will not hurt the chickens, so I would continue with at least a full 5 days of treatment (what dosage are you using). fwiw - Corid is a Coccidiostat that treats Coccidia which is a protozoa by "starving" it. Corid (Amprolium) has no antibiotic properties so will not treat any bacterial infections.

My 6 month old laced Wyandotte hen (1 of 4 from same flock- other 3 are fine) cannot stand on her feet and doesn't appear to have wing or leg injuries. I have watched her decline for 5 days, but she's still hanging in there taking water from a syringe and eating when food is placed in front of her beak and something is passing through because she's still pooping.. 3 days ago, I felt every part of her looking for signs of injury/pain, and when I came to her neck, I noticed it felt "out of place"- twisted over to her left side and very "full and hard feeling". She flops forward onto her head and left side when I put her down. The man from whom I bought her suggested I get Corid into her water and see if that helps thinking bacterial infection. (I'm treating the entire flock with it prophylactically). Here it is the 5th day, and I just can't help but think she's in pain at this point from hunger and dehydration. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? They free range, and this just came out of the blue (but after another hen was attacked by something and left dead in the pen/wondering if the Wyandotte pecked around the carcass and got sick?) Wondering if I should put her down at this point.

I am so thankful for these replies! I am not at home right now but will definitely check her vent when I get home, but I must say it sounds like Marek’s disease symptoms fits what I’m seeing in her. She has not yet laid any eggs. (None if the 4 siblings I bought together have, and they are now almost 6 months old). I will take a video to post and include footage of what her poop looks like. If it is indeed likely to be Mareks, for which there is no treatment, do you think I should go ahead and put her down?

I would wait a few days and try to see if she gets any better with the Corid treatment. Since it is the start of a holiday weekend, I would wait until Tuesday morning, in case you want to get a necropsy by your state vet to test for Mareks. The body must be refrigerated, and the sooner the necropsy is done, the better. Here is a link for contacting your state vet:

Could the hen have been injured when the other was killed? At this point I'd put her down if she isn't showing any improvement.

I saw no sign of any injury at all, but I can’t be sure.
Welcome to BYC, and sorry to hear about your 6 month old pullet. Has she been laying eggs up until now, and were they normal with hard shells? Can you insert one finger inside her vent about an inch to see if she is egg bound?

Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I wonder if she might have Mareks disease, since she is at the right age for it. It can cause different symptoms in each chicken, but lameness in one or both legs or a drooping wing, a twisted neck, wasting, eye changes, and tumors are all symptoms that might be seen. It is best diagnosed with a necropsy after death or culling, to test feather shafts or tumor tissue. Small tumors can grow along the sciatic nerves or anywhere else in the body.

Occasionally a reproductive disorder may be seen at this age. There are other diseases that could be possible as well. If you lose her or decide to put her down, I would contact your state vet to ask about getting a necropsy and testing. Here is a link with contact infor state vets:

Back
Top Bottom