Want to Buy a Third Mini Coop for Isolation and extra room- any suggestions?

jflanny

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Newnan Ga
I currently have two lovely coops- the larger one houses about 15 -20 chickens (I will be adding four in the spring) and the small coop houses 3 Silkies, 3 Mille Fleur and one blind RIR hen who gets picked on by the bigger girls. I am currently having a problem with egg eating and I think I have identified the culprit but not sure. I want to purchase an inexpensive ($300 or under) coop and run combo so I can isolate the egg eating bandit (s).

Once she is identified I will keep her and a flockmate in the new enclosure to prevent mass egg eating problems. Does anyone have any recommendations for which coop to purchase that would meet my needs? I notice most of the small ones with runs have exposed bottoms on the run area so I could add extra chicken wire along the bottom to keep our predators.

I thank all of you in advance for any advice. I am leaving for out of the country for 2 weeks and will handle when I return. Meanwhile, hubby will have to check the current nest boxes 5-6 times a day while I'm gone!
D.gif
hugs.gif

Save your money and search the threads for how to build roll out nest boxes, you will surely spend less than $300, you can keep what you have now and just make a few adjustments, they can't eat them if they can't get to them it might make a nice surprise when you get home.

This ^^^^ is good advice, I would go with a roll out nest or I would get rid of the offending chicken before I spent money and space on a separate coop and run for a hen that is taking part in horrible behavior. Egg eaters and mean roosters aren't welcome around my place.

overstock.com has a few options for something inexpensive and on the smaller side. We bought this one:

It was less than what they have it listed for right now and I found an online coupon for 10% off. We are using it as a brooder right now. Its not huge but if you built a pen (the one that attaches to it has horrible reviews but is a simple enough diy design) it might work. Before we put it outside I will put a sealant on it to help protect it from the elements and probably put the feet on blocks so its not on the dirt. Its not something that will last forever, and you pay for what you get, but if you are looking for quick and not crazy expensive, it might work!

The direction for putting it together were horrible...but it was pretty simple to do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom