wanted to buy 6 laying or close to laying hens in virginia

Quote:
i kinda like the rir and wyandottes , buff orpington and barnevelders:cool: ... i am doing this more as a hobby the eggs are just a bonus .. i raised two pigs a few years ago,, butchered them and gave all the meat away .. i had fun doing that
i well keep looking
cool.png
i would love to have some day old chicks but have no place to keep them while its cold ...

You are bout an hour give or take from me. I have a few hens that are at point of lay and some coming out of their first molt.

I have a few breeds in my main laying house I would like to give a new home as I need room for my orpingtons.

I could also hatch some chicks for you.

I have

- 3 partridge rocks that are just coming out of a molt - tail feathers are coming back in.

- 3 or 4 black jersey giants.

- 3 cuckoo marans.

3 or 4 hatchery quality rhode island reds.

All of them went through a super heavy molt and are just recovering from it.

Quote:
lol i had to google molt . how old are the rir and marans and whats your asking price have then been vaccinated ?

They are hatchery birds and were vaccinated as day old chicks for cocci. They are about 18 months old. $15 each for laying hens. All lay brown eggs.

hmmm is that kinda old for a laying hen ? i thought i read somewhere that 3 years is when they they slow down on egg production and you should replace the flock that would give me only 18 more months .. not trying to be rude
smile.png
i am still learning

ttt some out there has to have some pullets around 3 -4 months old i am getting desperate here.. i ......would like about 6 or 7 rir i really dont not care about shipping cost

Last edited:
Quote:
Hens don't lay big full sized eggs until they are entering their second year of laying. They have at least 2 good years of laying (this cycle and next) and even if they slow down they still should lay fairly well.

Makes no difference to me. I have fed them this long I may as well cull them when I need room and make dumplings for dinner.

Good luck at the auction.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom