Wanted - Willow or Rock Ptarmigan hatchlings/eggs for hatching

MaeTu

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Ontario, NY
Does anyone know of a ptarmigan supplier or have info on NY import limitations for ptarmigans?
Local DEC officer could not find any relevant import limitations.

The rule for game birds is for something that is a gamebird in your state/province. The last time I had a license for game birds in Ontario it mentioned ruffed grouse, wild turkey, bobwhite quail, ringneck pheasants, spruce grouse, and hungarian partridge. the other birds not mentioned did not require a license. this was back in the 1980's and a license might not exist today. the only gov't department that was serious about a license is the feds and migratory game birds (i.e. wood ducks, Canada geese, etc.)

Here's general rules in importing into Canada:How to import from states:
I phoned Canada Customs (or whatever their official name is) and here's the rules for importing eggs and birds from the USA: Any importing requires a Federally approved Vet's Health certificate (form VS17-6) for eggs, chicks, or adults; form must include NPIP number on it (US National Poultry Improvement Plan); adult birds must bear a leg band noting age, sex, and breed. Not to mention a federal license for migratory waterfowl (Canada geese, etc.) or a provincial license for game birds (ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, wild turkeys, ruffed grouse, etc). The federal license is a BIG deal. The province of Ontario is not a big deal (license is $10 last time I had one) and Quebec no license exists and you can probably get away with not having one. Guelph vet responsible for imported birds Dr Susan Rey 519-826-2810 (all this info is accurate as of December 2008) As of endangered species, I have not looked into this.
If you bring over eggs for the purpose of eating them, no paperwork is required (you might have fun at the border). Its far cheaper to arrange delivery to a US site by the US Postal Service and driving them back. They can be arranged to be flown in but be prepared to pay outrageously for it.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/html/content/wp_c_ VS.shtml

To my knowledge ptarmigan are not commonly kept, and they are birds of the far north or even tundra. You might have serious problems with minor bird diseases, viruses etc as diseases are less common in very cold or very high altitude birds. So might want to keep them far away from other birds and even change boots between pens. I looked into Mikado pheasants and they are a mountain bird and very hard to keep. good luck

good luck we have both those here in alaska but the lisence to have them in domesticated settings is about 500 dollars. I would like to just have one in my cross hairs so I can eat it!

Back
Top Bottom