Wanting hens to go broody

Big Red Hen

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Smoaks, SC
My hens have been laying a good amount of eggs this week, but none of seems to be setting? How can I encourage them? Or do they just go broody when they're ready?

I have LF brahmas. A breed known to go broody.
My birds are nearly two years old and not a broody to be found.
I've researched the subject extensively, tried every trick in the book, and it all comes down to one thing.
A hen will go broody if and when she wants to and nothing is going to change that.
barnie.gif

I am hoping to have a few broodies this spring. I keep wooden eggs in the boxes and use shreaded paper as nesting material. I find keeping the wooden eggs in works well for a few reason. Gives them the idea where the eggs go. Makes them think there is something to brood on. Makes them think that every nest is a popular one.
I know there are exceptions to every rule, but I'm not thinking that I will have a broody now because of the cold. I have read on BYC from multiple people about winter broodiness however. I wouldn't really want babies now.

a hen will go broody when she thinks it is a good time. you can't make her. some breeds are often broody, some almost never are. if you have a non-broody type of breed- you may never get a broody. if you have silkies or cochins, or some of the other broody breeds- you will have more of them than you want, come spring and summer.....

Back
Top Bottom