Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

she is only aggressive towards salt and pepper they were pullets last year.
I would just try her with the new chicks, you never know what will happen. I don't assume any particular adult will be a problem with chicks until I see it happen, and then I generally ignore it anyhow because the chicks need to learn to avoid any hens that give them a hard time. Of course that's only possible if you have plenty of places for the chicks to take cover when chased.

What a lot of work it was to get that stuff moved into the storage place for the garage sale. But it is done. Whew!

My chicks have access to the big run now, but they are staying in their area. Yesterday one of my older Buff Orpingtons was hanging out with them in their area. She has been broody lately, so I think she just wanted to be around the little ones. Cute really. They are little Buff Orpingtons so perhaps they are being accepted into the BO flock by her.

We have three different breeds here and they hang out in their own breed groups. That has been so interesting to us. I say it's because they were brooding mates, but like this time, whenever new ones come in of their breed, they seem to welcome them into their family.

I'm always fascinated by chicken behavior. I absolutely love giving them the space they need to live like they would in a natural environment.

I picked up a box of lettuce and cabbage scraps at the store today. Gave them the last few tomatoes and apples this morning, too.

Bought some rubbed sage and a few pork shoulder roasts today. I plan to pull out my meat grinder and make a big batch of homemade breakfast sausage tomorrow with a couple of them. And I might try making brats out the other two pork butts someday.

Wish I could get my sage seeds to sprout so I don't have to buy the stuff.

Sad day in Chickenland.

This morning when we let everyone out, Flopsy came out, standing upright, like she was feeling so much better. She had some treats, and scratched around all day. We really thought she had more time.

Sadly, when we went out to do the afternoon chicken chores, she had passed away. Maybe she prayed for one more good day. IDK

RIP Flopsy. :love You were loved.

Edited to change Mopsy to Flopsy....Mopsy is her sister, and is still doing well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom