Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I am new to raising chickens. I am in Puyallup and am putting up my coop now. Doing lots of research but finding it hard to figure out where and when to get my chicks. Any leads on where to get chicks in or near Puyallup?

I used to live in Puyallup (up until 6 months ago) and there's a Del's feed store in the Puyallup Valley. Give them a call; I bet they'll have chicks come this spring. :) Otherwise let me know and I can see about hatching some out for you when you're ready. :)

That's still way too much for hybrid (sex-link) chicks of that age.

To each their own right? I think price is subjective as I have seen 3yr old hens selling for $30 and chicks for $15. Considering chicks seem scarce atm if you wanted the chicks now then you pay the premium price. I payed $7 each for a dozen RIR that were 4weeks old. Couldnt find anyone selling chicks and ordering online of shipping from a breeder is far more cost prohibitive. The OP was looking for local sources to find the breeds they were interested and I gave some options. I guess its now up to the OP to decide if they want to wait another month or two before breeders/hatcheries start selling or get what they want now so the birds are laying BEFORE next fall.

I'm not sure when Graham Hay Market is getting their chicks. They have a longer chick season than the other feed stores.

the price of a chick or hen is whatever the buyer is willing to pay...I have paid from $2 to $35 per chick.
I second that. The cost of feed/heat to get chicks to 1-2 months old makes it not even worthwhile at less than $8. Especially true when you factor in raising roos and either giving them away or processing them.

We have readily been able to sell pullets at 1.5 years old for $20 and had multiple inquiries when listing them. I wouldn't really dream of selling hens older than 3 years old for that much however, unless they are heritage breeds that are still laying. Our red sex link hit the wall in terms of laying shortly after that mark, though so also had an impacted/sour crop that she never completely recovered from (continues to be pendulous despite interventions/isolation etc).

I am new to raising chickens.  I am in Puyallup and am putting up my coop now.  Doing lots of research but finding it hard to figure out where and when to get my chicks.  Any leads on where to get chicks in or near Puyallup?

Welcome to our group, you don't live to far from Enumclaw we have 3 feed stores here they get chicks in around March.
There are a lot of people on the form that have eggs to offer soon. If what your looking for is hens to have eggs than any breed will do. When I first started years and years ago I wanted eggs and cute chicken. Than I went to a nice bird.for the kids to work with than on to color.of eggs now I'm at the like the breed and color of bird and eggs and a little different kind of bird.
Since your building a coop make it bigger than what you want so in the future you can have more chickens. We started off with a 12x12 coop and now I have 5 coops from play houses to a Costco canopy. There are lots of ideas on this site.
Good luck they are a lot of fun.

I am new to raising chickens. I am in Puyallup and am putting up my coop now. Doing lots of research but finding it hard to figure out where and when to get my chicks. Any leads on where to get chicks in or near Puyallup?

It looks like Reber Ranch in Kent is going to start getting chicks in, at the end of February. Reber is in Kent (East Hill) not too far from Covington and Renton. Nice place, just remodeled. They usually have an extensive list of breeds available, but I don't think it's ready yet. They get their chicks from Privett hatcheries. I've gotten lots of chicks from there without any problems.
http://reberranch.com/

Imp/Russ

Back
Top Bottom