Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

There is a small high quality feed store in Olympia called Eastside Urban Farm and Garden that has black runner ducks right now. I did not check and see if they were sexed, and I don't know if that would work for you anyway, or if you would want to even drive that far. But we've had really good luck with their chicks all being properly sexed and much higher quality than TSC and the like.

We want to get an Americauna rooster, but not right now. We have one rooster already, and 16 hens/pullets. We're strongly considering placing an order with Dunlap hatchery in the spring. Last spring we ordered hatching eggs from them, and even with our crappy incubator the regular sized eggs had a 50% hatch rate. The bantam eggs did not do so well. But their little bantam Americauna eggs were just a gorgeous shade of turquoise. Theoretically if we ordered chicks they should be wonderful. They also have bantam blue laced red wyandottes. And Indian runner ducks. No clue on sexing ducklings, but they were really nice when we ordered from them before over the phone.

Sorry, I haven't been able to figure out how to insert a quote yet. This was in response to yesterday's inquiry about finding an Indian runner duck in Western Washington or a good hatchery to order from.

Thank you but that is definitely a little to far to drive for us! I decided to place an order with Metzer Farms in California. I will have my 6 female ducklings (2 black, blue, and chocolate) on Aug. 22nd or 23rd. The post office will give me a call the morning of to pick them up. Really excited to have ducklings again. I know my husband is not.

This weekend was not great since I just lost my youngest girl to an upper respiratory infection on Saturday. She was the most friendliest of the bunch. So I'm hoping that I can raise this batch to be similar from lessons learned.

Hi Jinxiekat...A couple things...You might try posting to the Duck Forum, and see what they say about sourcing your ducklings. Also...if you find something in spokane (I'm there) i'd be glad to foster them until you get to town, if you can find someone selling them up here. I did a search of some of the WW folks.
@WW Farms @UrbnGardenPeeps @Leigti - WW folk---anyone know sourcing for sexed ducklings?

Here's a guy you might want to contact, he's near Spokane. Nice guy. Maybe he knows some runner duck breeders on the east side.
@flyingmonkeypoop

I have bad luck with shipped eggs looks like only 3 hatched out of 13 eggs one of them was one of my EE's crossed with Welsummer Roo to be sure something hatched for the broody. The eggs were packed excellent and was really a short trip but oh well. I haven't been able to get close enough yet to see if the one of mine hatched or not broody was parked just outside the nest and is really nasty when she has chicks last time she had them I reached out for a brave chick and she went for my face not doing that again. She is fine with eggs but don't go near the chicks.

Wow I have a grabbit one in each coop as lifting birds to pluck eggs out can be a real kick at times never had one go for the fence but have learned from childhood how hard a peck can be

I have bad luck with shipped eggs looks like only 3 hatched out of 13 eggs one of them was one of my EE's crossed with Welsummer Roo to be sure something hatched for the broody. The eggs were packed excellent and was really a short trip but oh well. I haven't been able to get close enough yet to see if the one of mine hatched or not broody was parked just outside the nest and is really nasty when she has chicks last time she had them I reached out for a brave chick and she went for my face not doing that again. She is fine with eggs but don't go near the chicks.
Give them another day or two. It's too early to call it quits, it's only day 20 at most for your shipped eggs. I've only got one out so far.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom