Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have a question for the experienced crowd.
I have a Barnie hen that was broody for about 10 days and I gave her 2 chicks. It took her a day or so to realize she needn't be broody anymore! But now she's doing all the Mom things .... except eating!

If I toss grain or BOSS or fruit/veggies on the dirt she'll eat. If I put those same things on a plate or bowl she'll ignore them, give a look and walk away. Her pellets she ignores regardless of where I put them, and same with fermented feed. Luckily the chicks aren't as picky and will jump in the feed bowl or go after pellets just about everywhere.

Have you EVER seen this kind of behavior before? I'm a bit worried because she's losing weight and obviously not getting good nutrition. Any suggestions are welcome.

I have a question for the experienced crowd.
I have a Barnie hen that was broody for about 10 days and I gave her 2 chicks. It took her a day or so to realize she needn't be broody anymore! But now she's doing all the Mom things .... except eating!

If I toss grain or BOSS or fruit/veggies on the dirt she'll eat. If I put those same things on a plate or bowl she'll ignore them, give a look and walk away. Her pellets she ignores regardless of where I put them, and same with fermented feed. Luckily the chicks aren't as picky and will jump in the feed bowl or go after pellets just about everywhere.

Have you EVER seen this kind of behavior before? I'm a bit worried because she's losing weight and obviously not getting good nutrition. Any suggestions are welcome.

I haven't seen that before. Mine have all ate while dropping bites to the chicks.

It is normal for them to realize they have chicks when you first give them. Last hen waited 2 days before getting up. I had food and water right in front of her for the chicks.

I've never had issues with giving chicks to hens as long as they've been sitting a week.

I also use buckets with nipples down here love it no crap in the water but do not use dark buckets they collect slime yes learned the great way

Dunno about dark buckets but fully opaque buckets are the way to go. Place them in the shade for good measure and you won't get algae growth as there's no light to allow it to grow.

Chased down and netted the month old silkie chick. The ameraucana mom was running interference. It has enough feathering to tell me it's a lavender partridge. That tells me that the rooster in there carries a copy of lavender. I'll be happy with either sex, but a boy would be better. I've only had 2 girls hatch in the color before.

Yesterday we took our dogs to Long Beach for the day.

First photo features my dad, Mika, and Hazel Grace.
Hazel Grace is the tan and black one, Mika is the black one.

108815666_977870855998066_6728431300006266923_n.jpg

Second photo features Mooshu.

110146841_568137727398342_1365754878470565895_n.jpg

For anyone that doesn't know, Mika and Mooshu are Hazel Grace's parents.

Back
Top Bottom