Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the heart of Seattle and just got my first chicken on friday, I found a beautiful, friendly, fat, white rock wandering around about half a mile from my house. It's been a bit of a journey for her. She first lived in my room for a night then she was living in a large rabbit coop in a large chicken yard with whatever food I could find for her. I just got her food from The Grange in Issaquah with a feeder and waterer. And tomorrow, she will move into her new, 10-chicken-sized coop, all for herself. She layed her first two eggs on Monday and Tuesday, I drained the first and kept it as a memoir, and a good batch of scrambled eggs. Named her Aeris because I had to sneak into neighbor's yards twice to get her and pull her out of a 20-foot tree, very mischevious. That is the uninteresting story of my newfound chicken.
I would love to get a few other white rocks, and a Silkie.
Ohh and does anyone know Seattle's laws on chickens?

We're in Okanogan. Our current animal count is 19 hens (1 Barred Rock, 6 EE, 12 Rhode Island Reds), 1 duck, 2 cats, 1 dog (puppy...lab...I can do this), 4 horses (2 Belgian/Brabant mares, 1 QH gelding, 1 QH/TB gelding). To this we'll be adding either a milk cow or goats. That great debate is still on going.

We both grew up in Enumclaw. I love and miss the woods over there, but you couldn't pay me to go back. Our last visit back, I ran into rush hour traffic in Enumclaw, rush hour in Enumclaw?! :eek:

Hi everyone!
I am in the Pullman area, that is about as far east as you can go in washington (only 8 miles from idaho).
I grew up in the Seattle area and went to the UW for my undergrad. Reading all these posts from you over on the 'west side' is making me home sick. However, me and my 5 girls (Martha the RIR, George and cosmo the araucanas, argyle the barred rock, and Fancy McNugget the unknown) are getting used to the '(far) east side' living.

I'm new here-- just getting set up for my first batch of chicks! I live in Graham, WA, which is about 45 minutes south of Tacoma. I've wanted chickens my whole life & I finally live in a place where they "make sense"-- nice 1/2 acre lot with lots of room for a coop, etc. Cant' wait!
big_smile.png

Yes, the limit is 3 in Seattle.
wink.png
But 3 is sure better than 0!

Last edited:
Quote:
My parents live in Omak! We get there a few times a year.
smile.png

And, yes, the rule in the Seattle city limits is 3 hens, no roosters. That said, I've heard roosters crowing in every Seattle neighborhood I've lived in. I think as long as your neighbors don't complain you're fine (both w/roos and w/more than 3).

SeattleAeris, I love the story of your chicken! What neighborhood do you live in that you just found a chicken wandering around?!?

I live in Elbe, which is about 40 minutes south/east of Puyallup, at the base of mount rainier. I am currently focusing on polish, silkies and banty cochins. I am currently looking for silkies, and a large cochin rooster. If anybody has anything available, please let me know. I am willing to drive.

Hello all,
I live north of Spokane in the eastern side, about 6 miles from Napalongtails. I have wyandotte bantams and my family also has sumatras in bantam and large fowl, phoenix, east indie ducks, cayuga ducks, calls, runners, magpies, 1 guinea hen, and we have loads of other critters.

I just wanted to say HI and WELCOME to all you new Chicken-liking-people from Washington. We live just outside of Ephrata. I have always wanted chickens and now I can finally have some as pets. I was talking to a neighbor one day last week and told her our family wanted to get some chickens and that we looking and learning about them and next thing I know she brings over 20 eggs to incubate. I asked her what kind they were and she said pretty and red. She got them from a friend who told her the only way to LEARN is to DO. So I guess we are DOING! We are very excited!

Quote:
I think this is the first time this is happened to me, usually I move then find people.
wink.png
Do you guys come up for Stampede? We just bought here a year and a half ago, before that we were in Coulee Dam (and other areas during our country hopping years). I have to say I don't miss driving an hour to go shopping. LOL

Hi all! I'm over on the Kitsap Penninsula, West of Seattle, between Kingston & Hansville (Little Boston). Chickens just sort of happened to me. Started with a rescue hen I found in a feed-store parking lot. Now I have six hens and a big white (Leghorn?) rescue rooster named Balin. Like a previous poster, I'm in it for the love and the eggs, they all have names, and will (hopefully) all die of old age.

Cast list: two Auracaunas (one w/ the face fluff), one Gold Seabright, one white Cochin, one black Maran/Penna de Senca(sp) cross, one black unknown elderly gal, and the aforementioned roo.

For the Seattle people: I'll back up the already posted info. The posted limit is three hens and no roosters, but it's pretty much what your neighbors will tolerate. I have a girlfriend who lives up Aurora into Shoreline in a nice neighborhood, and her area is peppered with coops. Her neighbor behind has a rooster, and nobody seems to care. She and I are going to order some heirloom chicks together at some point: Dorkings, because they date back to Roman times (how cool is that?).

Cheers,

Nancy F (aka Neb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom