Water belly & impacted crop

battagliac

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2012
Woodland, CA (near Sacramento)
Have 10-yr buff Orpington with water belly getting worse, upon closer inspection she has blocked crop almost size of tennis ball. Did not notice since she’s so fluffy. We read about using oil and and massage to dissolve and move through, but don’t know if water belly means she’s having gastro problem, and they are related. Since she’s so old realize the latter could be tumor or infection. She hasn’t laid in few years, so guessing it’s not ova related. She is pulsating when she sits, I think from belly pressure. It’s is full to max now. Any help appreciated.

@Wyorp Rock @azygous

If it is ascites, have you considered draining?

I have done it before but one thing I have found to be helpful for 5 different hens with ascites is a mix of things...

I mix cinnamon powder, oregano, apple cider vinegar, and water together and give the hen 8 mL of it every day accompanied with Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox at 8 mL.

I have found this will take away all of the fluid. This has brought my hens extra months without pain.

Since her crop isn’t digesting I am not sure it will work or not. Is her crop hard or squishy?

I am not expert but I tagged them, I think it’s helpful to know about the mix though, it has worked on 5 different hens of mine.

Can you attach pictures of her and her poop? Has she been pooping?

@Wyorp Rock @azygous

I have done it before but one thing I have found to be helpful for 5 different hens with ascites is a mix of things...

I mix cinnamon powder, oregano, apple cider vinegar, and water together and give the hen 8 mL of it every day accompanied with Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox at 8 mL.

I have found this will take away all of the fluid. This has brought my hens extra months without pain.

Since her crop isn’t digesting I am not sure it will work or not. Is her crop hard or squishy?

I am not expert but I tagged them, I think it’s helpful to know about the mix though, it has worked on 5 different hens of mine.

Thank you!! We are going to try and drain her to at least give her some relief. Given her age, I’m thinking the main problem might be a farther down, and the backed up crop is a secondary symptom. The crop is packed full but softish to the touch, feels like full of grain.

Thank you!! We are going to try and drain her to at least give her some relief. Given her age, I’m thinking the main problem might be a farther down, and the backed up crop is a secondary symptom. The crop is packed full but softish to the touch, feels like full of grain.
Forgot to mention, her poop is minimal, clear liquid with green an white. She stopped eating regularly 2-3 days ago. Crop is so huge now, so obviously she can’t eat.

@Wyorp Rock @azygous

We drained last night, 150+mL clear yellowish fluid, and gave 2mL light olive oil. She’s comfortable for now, in large crate. Gave

We drained last night, 150+mL clear yellowish fluid, and gave 2mL light olive oil. She’s comfortable for now, in large crate. Gave
@Wyorp Rock @azygous

BYC app is giving me problems so I apologize for incomplete and reposts. We drained last night, 150+mL clear yellowish fluid, and gave 2mL light olive oil and massaged crop. She’s comfortable this AM, in large crate with electrolyte water only. Gave 4mL oil this morning and massaged, will continue this fior now, and wondering if stool softener is a good call. She does not drink. Attaching pic of small poop overnight, mostly liquid
B30EEBF1-DA10-4F59-A560-9BB9E69165DC.jpeg

It sounds like you are doing all you can do. Well done on draining, I’m sure she is much more comfortable.

I wish I could be of more help but I don’t think I am. Is her crop making any improvement?

@speckledhen would you be able to give more advice?

Have 10-yr buff Orpington with water belly getting worse, upon closer inspection she has blocked crop almost size of tennis ball. Did not notice since she’s so fluffy. We read about using oil and and massage to dissolve and move through, but don’t know if water belly means she’s having gastro problem, and they are related. Since she’s so old realize the latter could be tumor or infection. She hasn’t laid in few years, so guessing it’s not ova related. She is pulsating when she sits, I think from belly pressure. It’s is full to max now. Any help appreciated.
That's a lot of fluid drained off.
The crop is likely a symptom of all the fluid and/or inflammation of whatever is causing the fluid.
Reproductive, cancer, organ dysfunction/failure - any of these can cause fluid.

With her age, I think supportive care is basically all you can do.
While not a cure, attempting to make her comfortable for a while longer while you access her daily is a good idea.
Anytime I've had a hen with fluid in the abdomen, her crop was slow, so I agree, it's a symptom. Coconut oil is helpful and usually easier to administer. My birds love the taste and will just eat the chunks I offer, no worry about aspirating oil.

This article is the standard I follow when addressing crop symptoms.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom