Water belly & impacted crop

Sorry I'm late, but Wyorp Rock is correct. I would add that a very longtime breeder and NPIP tester for this state recommended to me to give tomato juice for impacted crop, probably the acid content is beneficial. He said it seems to really help and chickens seem to like it. You can get it unsalted. The coconut oil is really slippery and also seems to help.
At the age of this hen and her condition, all you really can do is make her comfortable. She is unfortunately at the end of her life and it has been a long one. I have had many live that long, but I've also had many hatchery birds and a handful of breeder stock types, including Orps, suffer from reproductive malfunctions and die from them. At the moment, I have two 14 yr old hens, one an Easter Egger and one a Splash Ameraucana. Both have severe arthritis at their age so most hens who live that long suffer from some old age issue, even if not reproductive. I used to drain hens, but unless they are literally dragging around a bowling ball between their legs, I no longer stress them by draining. It's just a judgement call as to whether it's worth doing at any given time. At their age, what you can do is just care for them and I really believe they get comfort from knowing you are trying to help. Mine seem to really cling to me when they are ailing. Your hen is lucky to have such a caring owner.

It sounds like you are doing all you can do. Well done on draining, I’m sure she is much more comfortable.

I wish I could be of more help but I don’t think I am. Is her crop making any improvement?

@speckledhen would you be able to give more advice?
Hi - Yes, draining helped her feel much better yesterday, but she isn't doing well this morning. Crop is still full and she is now making gurgling sounds and sitting in the crate and breathing a little heavy. Upon phone advise from local vet yesterday, we gave her 2 mL fiber diluted to consistency of orange juice with pulp with crushed papaya enzymes. We also gave her a tablespoon or so of yogurt, which was the fist time she ate in several days. I suspect now that nothing is going down, maybe her GI track is getting squeezed from tumor or something is failing. It appears she may be at the end. She's about 10 years old (hen in profile picture) and free ranged every day of her life, so she was a lucky girl. Thank you!

Sorry I'm late, but Wyorp Rock is correct. I would add that a very longtime breeder and NPIP tester for this state recommended to me to give tomato juice for impacted crop, probably the acid content is beneficial. He said it seems to really help and chickens seem to like it. You can get it unsalted. The coconut oil is really slippery and also seems to help.
At the age of this hen and her condition, all you really can do is make her comfortable. She is unfortunately at the end of her life and it has been a long one. I have had many live that long, but I've also had many hatchery birds and a handful of breeder stock types, including Orps, suffer from reproductive malfunctions and die from them. At the moment, I have two 14 yr old hens, one an Easter Egger and one a Splash Ameraucana. Both have severe arthritis at their age so most hens who live that long suffer from some old age issue, even if not reproductive. I used to drain hens, but unless they are literally dragging around a bowling ball between their legs, I no longer stress them by draining. It's just a judgement call as to whether it's worth doing at any given time. At their age, what you can do is just care for them and I really believe they get comfort from knowing you are trying to help. Mine seem to really cling to me when they are ailing. Your hen is lucky to have such a caring owner.
Hi - I just sent a reply message to Eddie and read Wyorp's message. I agree with and appreciate everyone's input. I haven't mentioned, but Orps feet are really arthritic too, very swollen, so yeah, I think her time has come. We've been raising layers for about 11-12 years now, mainly we get from our local country feed place. We too have had more than I can remember that succumbed to repro, tumors, or other things, mainly the former; but we've had a few strong ones too. We recently lost a 11-year old white leghorn, and we still have an Americana that is nearly 12 and part of our very first flock. She has lived through many different roosters, never had one problem, no visible arthritis, and always has a perfectly fluffy butt. I guess she has the good DNA. Two 14-year old hens is amazing! I agree they get comfort from us helping/caring too. Orp got torn up by a neighbor's dog at a young age and had about 100 stitches to rejoin all her skin. The last couple years, she has had a really dirty butt and we are always battling fly strike on her. We handle her so often that she seems to like it when we pick her up and take care of her. I just wish there was an easier way to put them down when they get to a point where you can see they are really suffering. I've tried several ways and they are all hard to do, especially on one like her. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom