Water Glassing - is this the stuff?

I'm not sure what to make of the "derived from" part on that package. My package says "calcium hyroxide (lime)."
I would guess that it's trying to list it's "ingredient" but since it's not food, it chose "derived from" instead of "ingredients:"

I know this post isn’t recent... but I went to the store today and got hydrated lime. The back of the back says “derived from calcium hydroxide.” Did I get the wrong kind??

I don't have the label to my bag any longer but I seem to remember that the bag I got had calcium, magnesium, and such in it. That was the original question I posted on way back when. As to the post not being recent, it's a whole lot newer than some posts I've seen resurrected. At least it wasn't 10 years old and the original people retired. lol

There is another thread on this subject and what I got from it is that you need PICKLING LIME (not pickling SALT!!!), which you can get in the canning section at Wal-mart. That's what I'm using, after following the thread, and the OP there said she got good results when cracking the eggs after several months. I currently have 4 dozen eggs in a three-gallon crock with an inverted plate over the top of it. I set the crock on a shelf in the basement, and I carry the eggs down and put them in the crock so I don't have to disturb the eggs already in the crock. I WEAR GLOVES as the stuff is caustic, and when dissolving the lime in water I also wear a mask. I keep my nests clean so the eggs are clean, you don't want to wash them but you also don't want chicken poo in your crock. You don't need much lime so don't go to the hardware store and buy a 50-lb. bag. I don't remember the exact ratio but it's something like 2 Tbsp per quart of water. Don't quote me, that's just to give you an idea of how little you need. Type "water glassing" into the search bar to find that thread. Good luck!

I believe the pH levels are supposed to keep bacteria away so the eggs don't spoil, too.

I chose to use the lime-method because it *seemed* easier to get pure slaked lime. Nobody (that I read yet) provided any guidance at all for finding appropriate sodium silicate for preserving eggs in. The "water glass" also seemed to be more expensive than the lime.

I'm interested in the outcome, too, and I'll be sure to share the results!

D
@father0fnine
Did you end up using Type “S” Lime?
I bought some yesterday, and tried water glassing with it. Now I’m second guessing the type “s”.
Was it safe, or did you choose something else?

Back
Top Bottom