Water glassing

Pcamp

Hatching
Apr 30, 2023
I am new here and to chickens.
I started water glassing eggs last month. I went to put new eggs in today and one of my eggs was completely broken.
Help!! I don’t want to throw my eggs away.

I started water glassing eggs last month. I went to put new eggs in today and one of my eggs was completely broken.
Broken, as in already water-glassed and broken in the container; or broken as in a new egg you planned to preserve today?

I went to add more eggs and I found a broken egg ( completely broken) in with my eggs. Do I have to use all the eggs now? I can’t just start over with fresh jar and lime?
It's a shame to lose them, but I'd err on the side of caution. If one broke with no explanation, there might have been some bacterial contamination, possibly inside that egg - and that would now render all of the other eggs in the same container potentially unsafe.

There's an old saying I depend on: "When in doubt, throw it out."

If you break the others open and there's no sign of contamination, I'd cook them up and feed them to the chickens, or to your dogs if you have some. But I wouldn't eat any of them myself.

How many were in this container, anyway?

I love water glassing eggs!
I went to add more eggs and I found a broken egg ( completely broken) in with my eggs. Do I have to use all the eggs now? I can’t just start over with fresh jar and lime?
No, you do not have to throw all the eggs out. Just replace the water/lime solution. DO NOT rinse off the eggs, you need the bloom to stay intact. I have over 150 water glassed eggs left over from last year, slowly using them up but it takes awhile for my household. One more point, if any of the eggs seem bad when you go to use them, use common sense and throw that egg out. I haven't came across a bad egg myself but it could happen. Good luck and the water glassed eggs make great scrambled eggs. And work great in baking

Back
Top Bottom