Water nibblers for new chicks or not??

jessschlles4

Chirping
Mar 29, 2016
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi All,

Debating a water nibbler system for my new chicks as they keep messing in their waterer. Any tips on training them to use the nibbler? Any other pros or cons to using the nibblers for young chicks?? Thanks!

Are nibblers the same as poultry nipples? If so, I've used them from the first day with my chicks. My hens have a five gallon bucket with three nipples, so I wanted the new girls to get it from the start. All you have to do to "train them" is tap the nipple a few times to get their attention, and maybe let them peck the water from your finger. Once the first chick pecks it, they ALL will want to try. Training session accomplished! Our first set of girls were five weeks old when we got them so I had a nipple waterer as well as a bowl of water until I was sure they all got the nipple concept. This time we got three day old chicks and taught them how to use the nipple the first day in the brooder.

I used a 32oz Gatorade bottle and a couple bungee cords. Works perfectly.

I've used both vertical and horizontal nipples. Never had to train any of the girls to use them. Just put them in their pen and removed all the other water sources. I brought my last girls home at night. When I checked on them early in the morning they were already using the nipple waterer. Before that they'd been getting water from a dog bowl. Got the horizontal nipples for winter as they don't freeze up as easily as the vertical nipples do.

Horizontal are my favorite as well I never really taught them but they were already old chickens when I switched them I haven't used it on chicks but many on the forum do with success

Back
Top Bottom