Waterer suggestions please, I hate my Little Giant waterer.

Our7Wonders

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
Central Washington State
Last week I bought a Little Giant feeder (22# capacity) and a Little Giant waterer (5 gal capacity). I really like the feeder but so far the waterer sucks!!! I don't know if it's defective or what but I take the little cap thingy off and it slowly starts to flow into the bottom like it should, but then it continues to trickle after it's full. This will make a mess in my coop in a hurry! So I've been putting the cap back on, but then I have to go out 2x each day to take the cap off and let it fill back up. Thankfully they're small and it's been cooler, so they haven't been going through as much water so this temporary fix is working for now, but I'll be darned if I'm going to spend $40 on a waterer that doesn't work right!

Does anyone else have this waterer and like it? Perhaps mine is just defective and a replacement would work better. Or do I need to look for something altogether different?

FWIW, I like the idea of the nipple waterers, but they look a little complicated for me and I'm not sure that I can make them work through the winter. We don't get super cold here but we've been known to dip below zero every now and then.

TIA,
Debbi

I have them too, as that's the only brand I can find around here...is your waterer level? Also, if it's continuing to drip when the trough is full, then the lid is either too tight or too loose, both of those will mess up the vacuum that it creates and needs to work properly. Is the rubber ring in the right place?

we also bought one and it stinks,seems like the trick is to adjust the tightness of the screw on cap.If i would have known this i would never bought it!

I'll have to check the rubber ring, I'm assuming it's in the right place, but then again, how would I know? It's not on the lid, it's on the neck of the waterer. It's where it was when I pulled the cap off the first time. Frustrating.

At this point I'd rather go with one of the metal ones, however, I like to ACV and can't with them - the whole reason I chose plastic instead.

I'll mess with it a bit today and see what I can come up with. I saved my receipt so if I can't get it figured out today I'll take it back to the feed store this evening for a replacement.

I have the exact same waterer and I had the same issue. I had to angle it so the hole was completely covered by the water; so that side was lower than the rest, it's the only way it stopped leaking. And the lid had to be super tight.

But now it's been converted into a nipple waterer and it's the BOMB!

Last edited:
Quote:
REALLY??!! WOW!!!! Please tell/show me how you did that! I really like the idea of a nipple waterer but it seemed like more work for me to get it all figured out. If I can add the nipples to my existing waterer that would be GREAT!!!!

I had the same issue, water always came out regardless of how I set it. You should be able to disconnect the bowl (with brass connector attached) an no water should come out of valve. If water does come out the Valve is bad or not tight. Go to a hardware and autopart store and buy a tire valve tool (couple bucks) this will have a way to tighten the valve, if this little giant is new this will probably fix it. If it still doesn't fix it replace the valve. I thought this was the problem originally and called the company and they mailed me a couple new valves so I am set for a while. You still need the Valve tool so get and try tightening valve first thats most likely the issue.

I love my little giant now its so easy to keep clean and not worry about my birds getting water.

You can actually see it (kind of) on my page. The first picture of the run has it as the fountain, the second picture of the run (in the far R corner) it's been converted into a nipple waterer. It lasts 1.5 to 2 weeks for 11 chickens (I also have a 3 gallon bucket waterer in the coop, but they don't seem to use it as much).

I have 3 nipples on the bottom (ordered from QVC supply), the waterer is hung by a chain from a support beam on the roof of the run since it's insanely heavy. I wrapped the little black water outlet with teflon tape to keep it from leaking. It's heavy to lift up so I set it on a 5 gallon orange HD bucket and then lift from that elevated height. I usually get my husband to do it but I can handle it if necessary.

I can explain further if you need me to. I'll see if I can get better pictures tonight (I'm at work right now)
smile.png

the rubber ring needs to be at the top of the neck, and have you tried a little lite oil or silicone on the ring it will make it seal better. if you water is not level it will leak. you are talking about the octagon one right? plus you can not hang that waterer, some have tried it doesn't work
smile.png
the only trick to it is being level and a seal that is 'fresh'

nipples are a good thing but if you temps in the coop get below freezing you need a back up waterer

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with mine once I figured out that the screw on lid has to be really really tight. I flooded the whole coop a couple of times before I figured it out. I blamed the ducks so it all worked out.

Back
Top Bottom