watering with a 55gl barrel?

ab2401

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Woodstock, AL
Has anyone ever used a 55gl barrel to water their birds? I just got 3 I am going to use for rain barrels but was thinking about useing one for the birds, I just don't know where to start or if it would even work out. Any info or pics would be great!

Yeah I had thought about that, but wasn't sure how long water is really good for. Well thank you! That in a nut shell was very helpful! :)

We had rainbarrels during drought years as kids. It had a hose to syphon water to the Mom's special plants with a valve on the end. To keep the water fresh and mosquito free we had goldfish and red newts in it. The salamanders would hide in the bottom leaves, and come to the surface once in awhile. The barrel may work for your chickens, just replenish the barrel. Just a thought.

Thank you guys!

I have a very small flock. Right now we only have 12 and our max will be 25 if that. What I might do is keep an eye on how much water they are drinking any maybe use the 55gl but not keep it full. Right now they are little, I just started a whole new flock, and are still on water bottles. However I have a 5gl bucket with 2 chicken nipples on it. In the past, with the 5gl bucket, it seems as though the birds were always thirsty and never had enought water. I like the idea of having the water up and clean but didn't like how they always seemed thirsty. So I'm trying to find something new with things I might already have to give them the best for their needs.

I have two 5 gallon buckets connected that connect out to 2 beakup cups. I have not had any trouble with the water but there is a huge difference between 10 and 55 gallons. For a small flock, I get some good use from the 5 gallon buckets.

I use a 15 gal. with nipples on it and it works great for 6 chickens. I also let them free-range around the yard and they find water there also. I smelled it yesterday as we have had a few days over 80 degrees or so and it had no odor. I do add some ACV to it about every other week and before a rain I drain some water out of it just to refresh it with new water. I love it

I have two blue plastic 55 gal barrels on the front of my trailer coop that I use for water. I just fill them up, take the coop out to the field, and I'm good with water for a couple weeks (during the summer) . Of course I have almost thirty chickens in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom