Wax or nail polish for cracked hatching eggs?

alpinewelsummer

Songster
Mar 15, 2021
I grabbed a dozen hatching eggs today and did a quick candling to check for damage--two have thin but sprawling hairline fractures and one has a big ole peck crack that, while it did not break the membrane, is still concerning to me.

I hatched out a similarly pecked quail egg so I'm not wildly concerned, but I need to know what the best sealing method for cracks is. Most people suggest unscented wax or clear nail polish--what do you guys suggest, in your experience?

From what I’ve heard, most people say just to leave it. I know nail polish isn’t good for the egg as it stops the air from getting in, I don’t know about wax though....i suppose it could work, though I would wait for someone more experienced then myself before doing anything.

From what I’ve heard, most people say just to leave it. I know nail polish isn’t good for the egg as it stops the air from getting in, I don’t know about wax though....i suppose it could work, though I would wait for someone more experienced then myself before doing anything.

Interesting! I had always read to seal it but, I didn't with my quail and they popped out just fine! I suppose if nothing is leaking and the membrane isn't touched then they'll be fine once they're in the nice sterile incubator.

I'll still do some reading but thank you for the input!

It really depends on the crack. If the crack shows up only when candling I wouldn't seal it. Ditto if it's a large spiderweb. The former probably won't da âne the egg's integrity and the latter sealing might actually make worse.

If the crack goes though the shell you'll need to use the wax to keep it from drying too fast and losing too much weight. Sealing also helps to keep out fungus and bacteria which could kill the embryo.

Back
Top Bottom