Way OR No WAY ???? I need guidance here.

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I have three flocks & three chicken coops. Well, before the third flock came I had two flocks DA!! The two flocks consist of 10 hens living in their coop & 16 hens & one room living in their coop. I free range them so the one roo has 26 girlfriends. He really likes the flock with 10 older hens better than the 16 he lives with but every evening he makes sure the 10 hens are in their coop & then he goes to his house with the 16 hens.
Well, I built another coop & hatched the eggs from the 26 & had a bunch of cockerels but got rid of all of them but two. The two new cockerels live with 16 pullets.
I'm wanting to have a roo in every coop. Not sure if my plan will work. Here's the plan, take the original roo & move him to the coop with the 10 older hens which he likes the best . Add one of the new boys to the middle aged hens coop & leave the other cockerel with his original flock.
My biggest concern is the original roo is gonna freak out because his old flock of hens will have a new roo living with them. The original roo is for sure the king of all the flocks. Am I fixing to start WWIII ? I've been free ranging all of them everyday & they all pretty much hang as three different flocks but the original roo still controls his 26 girlfreinds as usual. Anybody, ever done this ?

Way. I think it'll work, but I'd probably introduce the younger cockerels to him at a younger age, so they don't fight so much when older, if that makes any sense?
Not sure I'm following you. The original roo is already running around with the cockerels. They all range together. The original roo shows the cockerels who's boss no blood shed just lets them know hey guys I'm the man here. I'm just not sure how the original roo is gonna react to his older flock having a new man.
I probably won't make the transition till the cockerels are atleast a year old. Then I'm thinking I'll keep them locked up for awhile then let one flock out one day then another the nexts & so on. Then eventually just start letting them all out.
I just want to have one roo for every coop mainly for protection for the hens while ranging. Has anyone ever done this ? Should I just leave it alone or will this move be better for the flocks as far as being better protected while ranging. The one original roo can't watch 26 hens he can't be everywhere at one time plus he is trying to mate them & we all know thats his first priority.

I perhaps don't have as much experience as I should to reply, but you are going to cause a fight. But probably not a war. That boy thinks every hen in the place is his, and he's the Boss. He will fight another boy, but they don't fight to the death unless you've got Games. I'd not let them all mingle for a while. Keep the new guy with "his" flock w/out the other being able to interfere. Otherwise, you'll end up with one Boss and an underling. By isolating new guy with "his" flock for a while, it'll be established that this is "his" flock when you finally do let them mingle. They'll still fight at least once but no big deal most likely. Maybe a little blood but once one gets his butt whooped, that's that for a while.

Thanks, for the responses. Guess, the only way to find out is to do it. I just really want each flock to have a roo. I'm thinking my idea would be the best thing for the flocks. If I don't do anything one flock will not be watched by a roo.. That's what I'm seeing now while their all ranging .. The main roo spends most free range time with the old ladies not the ones he roost with every night. He periodically checks on them but that's it.

If they already run together all day then let them sort it out - it is probably not that important to have a rooster inside each coop, and they will all mingle during the day anyway wether you want them to or not.

Sorry, I thought you meant the young ones are all separate to the other two groups. I'd just let them all grow up them. They should be fine. You won't be able to dictate who goes with who, though, but they might agree with you anyway!

If they already run together all day then let them sort it out - it is probably not that important to have a rooster inside each coop, and they will all mingle during the day anyway wether you want them to or not.
Yea!! I don't know. Its funny when I let them all out they like to go into each others coops & eat each others food. I always sit there & laugh because they all eat the same food. Its the old saying the grass is greener.
Again, I'm just worried about the flock on the other side being without a roo. I've been thinking maybe just let it be but then again my plan has always been to have a roo for each flock. Then again I might be stirring up a hornets nest by changing things because I do know that chickens don't like change.
Again, has anyone ever done what I'm trying to do ? I'm stumped .

As I understand it, you're basically adding a rooster to a flock. The rooster thinks its one flock, it's you that thinks it's two flocks. I'm sure someone has done that.

Back
Top Bottom