We are new to the chicken world

My husband and I are new to chicken raising and he has built me a wonderful beautiful coop for the girls and we are open to suggestions in the hat to put in the bottom of the coop in order to prevent muddy situations during summer downpours.
Please and thank you
Kerri
Glad you joined us here!

My run has deep litter on the ground: layers of straw, lawn/mower clippings and shredded autumn leaves as a base. It keeps their feet mostly dry, and absorbs water so they don't get muddy.

We live in FL, and basically the swamp so we get ALOT of rain. I have learned over the years that Pine Pellets(horse bedding) are a HUGE plus for our coop because they absorbs water and poop so well.​

Welcome to BYC!! :frow Nice looking setup you have there!

I second the horse bedding pellets for in the coop. We've used them for going on 8 years and always have an odor-free, dry coop.

🙋‍♀️Welcome to BYC!
You have come to the right place! There are tons of people on here ready to help with whatever they can! Just ask!We all share the crazy addition to chickens and other animals!

We live in FL, and basically the swamp so we get ALOT of rain. I have learned over the years that Pine Pellets(horse bedding) are a HUGE plus for our coop because they absorbs water and poop so well. So i use them in my coop then scoop them to the run when cleaning time comes. Or i just add the bags in holes where i need them.. and over timeninhave built up their run to where is no longer holds water at all.

And if you haven't checked already,
The Learning Center
has some great articles to help you along the way!

Cant wait to see you around 🩵

My husband and I are new to chicken raising and he has built me a wonderful beautiful coop for the girls and we are open to suggestions in the hat to put in the bottom of the coop in order to prevent muddy situations during summer downpours.
Please and thank you
Kerri
Welcome to BYC!
We hope you find this forum both informative and fun and feel free to ask any questions you have about your new feathered friends!

Back
Top Bottom