we have a surprise chicken visitor

jducour

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Utah
I was unloading groceries and this little lady walked up to me. I can't find her owners, but I am calling anyone I can think of that has chickens. She has laying feed and water, and she is fenced off from my ducks. Am I missing something?

Oh! And she laid an egg, so that was a bonus :)

I know, that is what I am afraid of! I have some pretty randy drakes though, so I will probably have to find her a new home. Does anyone have drakes and hens together?

I know, that is what I am afraid of! I have some pretty randy drakes though, so I will probably have to find her a new home. Does anyone have drakes and hens together?

Our duck is female & gets along great with the chickens, but I've heard the drakes will ride a hen relentlessly.

Maybe she was passing by, saw your adorable coop & decided to stay. :)

I had a drake and a female duck that was in a brooder with chickens when they were a few days old. He is the only drake that tried to mount my chickens when he got older. I did have to seperate him from my chickens. He has passed away now. I have a yard full of chickens and ducks now that get along fine.

Someone might have seen your ducks and decided to drop their chicken off at your house. I have had that happen before to me. I have had chickens and a duck put in my fence that people didn't want. That's pretty sad to dump your birds on someone else. I've always taken care of them I guess they know they will have a good home.

Patty

I had a drake and a female duck that was in a brooder with chickens when they were a few days old. He is the only drake that tried to mount my chickens when he got older. I did have to seperate him from my chickens. He has passed away now. I have a yard full of chickens and ducks now that get along fine.

Someone might have seen your ducks and decided to drop their chicken off at your house. I have had that happen before to me. I have had chickens and a duck put in my fence that people didn't want. That's pretty sad to dump your birds on someone else. I've always taken care of them I guess they know they will have a good home.

Patty

You've GOT to be kidding??? That is so bizarre! Just when I think I've heard it all...

Patty

I have actually already had that happen. I had someone drop a large Pekin drake over my fence. He had multiple health problems, andwas severely malnourished. I nursed him back to health and found him a home. I would rather someone drop an animal into my yard than have them continue to suffer.

I love that commercial! Hahahha, you made my day :)

Last edited:
Update - I found her owners! My neighbors got these chickens 6 months ago (typical Easter chick situation) and still have not built an adequate coop for them. It is an old dog house with chain link fence providing a small uncovered outdoor run. The chicken just hopped the fence to get out. The dog house and run are maybe 2'x4' combined, and they have 4 chickens in there. Their daughter is in school now, and I don't think they are taking very good care of their chickens. I keep dropping hints that I would love to adopt all of them, but I don't know if they will. I was a little sad - the little thing was growing on me!

Back
Top Bottom