We have babies and a puppy! ETA: with pics..

ChristmasKathy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Me and DH went to the flea marked to get some more hens but they were all gone.
barnie.gif

So we got 15 chics to add to our flock of 7. I am hoping for a lot more hens than roos from this bunch ;
jumpy.gif

but I have seen

we are in the" year of the
D.gif
roos
D.gif
" on this forum but my fingers are crossed.

We also got a little puppy who I am hoping will be a protector of my flock; she follows us everywhere and

likes to look at the chics. I just hope she is not thinking "dinner".

I will post some pics in a few hours.
love.gif

Last edited:
Here is our new flock; we had them a week.
Not sure what kind they are or how old they are.

S2010060.jpg

more from around the yard...

S2010052.jpg

and

S2010056.jpg

and

Here are the 15 chicks we got today. They are in a spare home with a heat light.

hubby006.jpg

and

hubby007.jpg

Last edited:
hubby005.jpg

here is are coop; it is my dads as we are not in our permanent land yet, we are hoping to have our own coop built by December/ January. We have to put a new siding on this this month. Its just a temp. This will house turkeys when we are done using it.

S2010064.jpg

These are my dads cats...all 30 of them. Well they are not all here.... but u get the point
barnie.gif

S2010066.jpg

and

S2010062.jpg

Our new chicken gaurd dog is sleeping so I will post her tommorow!
love.gif

Nite All.
frow.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I feel that way too.

Most are strays we took in; after we got them fixed they just stuck around.
Unfortunately!

Last edited:
They all look healthy and well taken care of. I have 3 and they are a handful....... I imagine its alot easier when you can let them out
smile.png

Yes!
We live on a six acre lot full of trees and live next to a farm field full of mice.
Its never boring around here!

We have four dogs. I raised several batches of chicks in an aquarium in the living room so that the dogs were constantly exposed to them. When the chicks were two weeks old, I would rub them against my dogs' cheeks and now the dogs just see the chickens as family. It worked so well that when we were out for a walk the other day, one of the dogs found an injured bird on the sidewalk. She nudged it a couple of times, then licked it. If she had any intention of hurting it, she could have easily done so before I arrived.

Be very careful with a puppy though if you do this. Any roughness, prey drive or aggression should be corrected with a sharp No! then put the chick back and try again another day.

Best of luck! Our guys alert us to predators any time the birds get agitated.

what kind of puppy is it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom