We lost 6 in 1 night. My family and I are crushed.

ChickenOrTheEgg

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 20, 2007
Elsberry, Missouri
We just got our first chicks about 3 months ago and yesterday my 4 year old told my wife he had a "suprise" out at the coop. He took her out there and said "look! feathers every where!" He didn't notice that we had lost 6 of our 11. We are heart broken. Being so new to chickens we have spend so much time with them holding them and feeding by hand they got to the point that they would actually come to us when we came in the coop door. We have a "gutted out" singlewide with a dog door leading out to a big dog kennel. I found a small opening in the top part of the dog kennel there it wasn't flush with the siding on the trailer. We have a TON of foxes in our area here in north eastern Missouri. What ever took them only left feathers and a little blood. The chickens are gone and I feel like the worst owner in the world. When We first got them I never thought I'd get so attached to them. Needless to say my chickens now live in the "Fort Knox" of chicken coops complete with my two digital deer cameras. I'll post the pics when I catch what killed my babies. If anyone in northeastern Missouri has any hens they don't want please send us an email. We have alot of room in our coop and in our hearts for more chickens.
Thanks and God Bless.

So sorry to hear about that! I know you must be crushed! I'm new to chickens too, I just got my five chicks today. Get more and keep going!!!

how terrible....I know my day will come as well....I plan on free ranging
sad.png

sad.png
sad.png

How Sad. I too fear the day will come. You get so attached and hope that it doesn't happen. You did the best you knew how. Hope you can find some new chickens to fill your coop.

The chickens are gone and I feel like the worst owner in the world.

Please don't feel guilty. We've all lost birds to preditors. Mine were safe and sound (I thought) in their pen while I went to town. When I came back a Red-Tailed Hawk was dining on my best layer. In the pen. So the next day I got some deer netting and put over the pen. When I finished I came in to rest then an hour or so later found another dead hen and a hole in the netting. I guess the hawk thought going through the netting was too hard of work and has never tried again, thank God.

Thing is, we do the best we can, and obviously you were well prepared, but things still happen. It's just part of having chickens. I'm sorry for your loss, I know how you feel.
hugs.gif

HI. I inherited mine a couple months ago from the old homeowners, and just posted last night in Emergencies forum, as we lost 4 yesterday in the coop and in the early daylight! I am SO SORRY for your loss. My heart is just aching too. I fell in love with them and felt that I let them down as their protector. They are now terrified. I set out traps as I think it is one of 3 things, fox, weasel or raccoon getting to mine. We had no issues until last night. Now I am terrified to leave them alone or even let them out again. The deer netting tip is now going to be our weekend project. Keep your chin up I know how hard this is!

Hey Folks! Thank you so much for all your kind words. I am very sorry for those of you that have shared similar stories with me.

We had a great thing happen over the weekend. A really nice couple had 4 rod. reds and 2 easter eggers that they didn't want any more so they gave them to us! The great thing is that they are 1 to 1/2 years old. We got 10 eggs from them in 2 days! My kids were so excited. We were going to have to wait a few more months for eggs but we now have egg layers. We still hurt when we think about the ones we lost but it sure is cool how GOD makes things work out.

I can't figure out how to post pics of our "single wide coop" or I would. It's not as fancy as some of the others but our new chickens like it.

Thank You again for your kind words and God Bless,

Darin

Listen I have lost several myself. to something out of my wooded area and can't find out what it is. they take my grown hens and some baby's . so don't feel bad. Lisa

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom