I ordered 7 chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatchery, and they hatched either on 4/2/2022 or early 4/3/2022. They shipped on 4/3/2022, and I just received them today, 4/5/2022.

They all are happy and healthy, except the extra chick, that Mt. Heathy included as a 2% margin for any chicks that might perish or anything.
This chick is weak, and by that, I mean that it has trouble standing up and walking, wants to sleep, and hasn't eaten or drank by itself.

I have been syringe feeding this weak chick water with Save-a-Chick Electrolytes mixed in. I have been doing this for the past 2 hours. This chick is able to sort of shakily stand now, but it still wants to sleep. I do not believe it is splay leg, since its legs are not splayed out.

I checked it for pasty butt, but discovered, I think, the dried umbilical cord or possibly the egg yolk?? Should I try to remove it with some wet paper towel?? Is there anything else I can do for this poor little chick?

Also, I understand that chicks die within the first few days of hatch, but I would like to try to save it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 42
  • chick2.jpg
    chick2.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 16
That is the umbilicus, so don't remove it. It should dry up and will probably fall off on its own.

It sounds very weak, likely from the hatching process followed by being shipped (and who knows what occurred during that process). The residual yolk at the umbilicus is larger than is optimal, making me suspect that the navel may have been unhealed at hatch - an additional disadvantage, especially since the chick had an arduous journey immediately following. Offering a supplement is a good idea, but for acute cases like this one, I'd use Poultry Nutri-Drench, instead. I offer it, diluted, on the tip of a cotton swab and just touch it on the side of the beak, so that the chick will swallow it without risk of aspiration.

Is the chick warm enough? It may also have gotten chilled during shipping. Offering a supplement several times a day in addition to ensuring it's warm and comfortable may help the chick pull through.

Best wishes for your little one's recovery. Will be rooting for her (or him).

That is the umbilicus, so don't remove it. It should dry up and will probably fall off on its own.

It sounds very weak, likely from the hatching process followed by being shipped (and who knows what occurred during that process). The residual yolk at the umbilicus is larger than is optimal, making me suspect that the navel may have been unhealed at hatch - an additional disadvantage, especially since the chick had an arduous journey immediately following. Offering a supplement is a good idea, but for acute cases like this one, I'd use Poultry Nutri-Drench, instead. I offer it, diluted, on the tip of a cotton swab and just touch it on the side of the beak, so that the chick will swallow it without risk of aspiration.

Is the chick warm enough? It may also have gotten chilled during shipping. Offering a supplement several times a day in addition to ensuring it's warm and comfortable may help the chick pull through.

Best wishes for your little one's recovery. Will be rooting for her (or him).
Thanks for replying!

Should I keep giving it water with the electrolytes in it, in addition to the Nutri Drench? Also, it hasn't eaten anything...should I offer something soft to entice it to eat?

Oh, and I have the chick wrapped in a towel with a heated floor in the brooder. I just took the chick out to see how its legs were.

I bought pullets, but one of them looks suspicious ;)

Yes, if you can entice the chick to eat, definitely do so. She (picking a pronoun for ease of reference) may be at the end of nourishment from her absorbed yolk at this point. Scrambled eggs are a good option to try.

Sometimes, a chick can appear to have leg problems just from being very weak. How are its legs looking?

Yikes! Well, you know how vent sexing chicks goes. :)

Yes, if you can entice the chick to eat, definitely do so. She (picking a pronoun for ease of reference) may be at the end of nourishment from her absorbed yolk at this point. Scrambled eggs are a good option to try.

Sometimes, a chick can appear to have leg problems just from being very weak. How are its legs looking?

Yikes! Well, you know how vent sexing chicks goes. :)
Her legs look fine, not splayed or any deformities, she appears to just not have the strength to stand up for long periods of time or really well.
She can stand if I help her up, but not great.

Any update on your chick? Hoping she has gotten past the tough first two weeks and is thriving now!
Sadly, she passed away that night..... All my other chicks are happy and scratching though! :D
Thanks to everyone who looked at this thread, and offered their advice!

Back
Top Bottom