Weak Rooster

Vrabac

Hatching
Aug 8, 2023
Hello, first of all I'd like to apologise for my butchered English as It isn't my native language. I'm pretty new to poultry raising since we got a flock of laying hens about 5 months ago, along with a single couple of native Croatian small chicken "Hrvatska patuljasta kokoš". ( AKA Jurek and Katica ). The small chickens are about 8 months old now and they layed their first eggs and soon 2 chicks hatched about a month ago. About two weeks ago, Jurek ( The rooster ) started to show signs of weakness. It's important to add that the breed is almost semi-wild. They prefer to be out grazing and to sleep on a tree. The rooster was all strong and proudful walking all the time, flying up on the tree without a problem, now he can barely jump ontop of a chair and is looking all weak so we set up a ladder for him to slowly hop on a branch. He has an apetite, and eats whenever he's given some grain, but he mostly goes around picking weeds and bugs in the backyard with his little family. In that same period, he stopped crowing and "talking" with his lady.

I'm sadden whenever I see him in his condition because I honestly think they have a good life in my backyard, and would do anything to help him. Also sad to say that I can't really call any Vet to help out, because I honestly can't find any that deals with animals like that in my area. ( just cats and dogs give money i guess.... unless you have a big farm ).

Can anyone give any advice on what could be the cause and give any suggestions? Thanks.

Jurek 3 months ago:

jure.png

Jurek now:

11aaa.jpg
22aa.jpg

Your rooster needs to eat high protein chicken feed. Foraging in your backyard doesn't provide enough nutrients. Plus the backyard can harbor some poisonous plants to chicken if they eat it. Which can make them sick or sluggish.

Your rooster needs to eat high protein chicken feed. Foraging in your backyard doesn't provide enough nutrients. Plus the backyard can harbor some poisonous plants to chicken if they eat it. Which can make them sick or sluggish.

He's the only one from his family that is acting like that, he was fine all this time that I got him without feeding him any specific feeds. He feeds the same exact way his family feeds. Occassionally as it's the current season, I give them a slice of watermelon rinds, and a handful of grains that they eat when I also throw for the big hens. The breed is like that. The man I bought the pair from, when asked what does he feed them and where he keeps them he said he doesn't do nothing. They are almost like a version of a domesticated pheasant, not like a typical laying bird.

Regarding plants, I don't have any dangerous ones in my backyard. Plantain, dandelion, stinging nettle, shouldn't be a problem for a chicken, and especially on one who's supposed to have a high immunity system.

Checked his vent, looks clean. His very recent dropping:

Attachments

• IMG_20230809_171638933.jpg
    IMG_20230809_171638933.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom