Weasel attack? Graphic pic

backwoods

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
South GA
Thats all that I can figure. My pen is all 1/2 inch welded wire. The only place I think anything could have got in is in the peaks of the tin covering the top. I cut wooden block to fill those gaps and wrapped the legs in tin as a backup since the attack. I have dogs and they had all of the dirt around the pen torn up trying to get at whatever was in the pen. I hope they caught it but I did not see any remains. I have traps set now and will try and catch whatever it was. I have grown hens and have never had a problem with anything bothering them in chain link fence. Sure lowered my comfort level with all my chickens!!

FWIW I am in S GA

l_6c79c6057c809276a0e993813ccfcd2b.jpg

Aw so sorry about your birds
sad.png

We lock ours up at night nice and tight cuz we've had our share of bad luck with Predators

Good Luck finding and catching the killer

They are locked up 24/7 but after this I have them boxed up at night untill I resolve the problem. I really thought that their pen was secure from the start but overlooked the V's in the tin. Never had a weasel before but the holes were only 3/4x5/8 so whatever had to be little but mean!!

Quote:
I don't understand what that means. Does it mean they are closed inside the pen all the time but you didn't bother to close them in the coop at night too? I would just die if i ever walked out to see this. That is why i don't skip any recommendation regarding their safety.

hit.gif

They are in a raised pen that is made with 1/2 inch wire with half of the run covered with tin. The covered portion is all that is not caged with wire. They have enclosed "house" at one end that I am locking them in at night now. The V's in the tin were the only openings larger that 1/2 inch and I have never had a ploblem with the dogs in the yard. Now I am worried about my grown hens. They are in a chain link run with electric fence around it but I have allot of work to close it up as tight as the chicks run. Never dreamed/always dreaded the thought of a $%^&%& weasel!!!!!! I live in the woods as my user name states. I have bobcats, coyotes, fox, coons and most anything else around and can deal with them fine. I was not ready for something like this!

Oh yea I am north of Valdosta in alittle town called Nashville.

Let's see. If a weasel did this you'd most likely be looking for a Long Tailed Weasel. Generally they're about 14-18 inches long and active mainly at night. I'd be interested to see what you catch. The fact that your adult chickens haven't been attacked is really curious. Are you sure it isn't possibly a rat?

That is what just happened to me. Took all 5 of my 2 week old silkie chicks. I was so mad! I thought it was a weasel, but I have been having problems with rats because of the feed. So I have been using poison, and I caught a rat last night in a rat trap. And there are no weasels where rats are because they eat rats, so the rats wouldnt be there if a weasel was there.

So, that is my 4th rat. 3 were found dead in the chicken pen looking for water. I guess I will keep setting the trap until I kill them all.

Back
Top Bottom