Weather/waterproofing chicken run

lachie27

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on any materials I can cut to size to use as a cover on the hardware cloth to stop rain getting in and wetting the wood shavings in my run. Was thinking of shade cloth but it needs to be sewed after cutting it to stop it fraying and needs eyelets to attach it around the mesh. Any ideas?? Also maybe thinking of bamboo/straw maybe?? Suggestions please

How about polyvinyl tarp? You could also change the run from shavings to sand. Just some thoughts.

I used sand for a while but it got stinky when wet and didn't clean so changed to shavings. Also does pvc tarp fray when cut??

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on any materials I can cut to size to use as a cover on the hardware cloth to stop rain getting in and wetting the wood shavings in my run. Was thinking of shade cloth but it needs to be sewed after cutting it to stop it fraying and needs eyelets to attach it around the mesh. Any ideas?? Also maybe thinking of bamboo/straw maybe?? Suggestions please
What is your climate/location?

There's no reason to keep rain off your wood shavings.

The 6' x 15' Cooloeroo shade cloth I bought off amazon did not unravel,
I squared off an end and tried to tear apart that thin scrap and it stayed pretty tight,
but I just double folded over the cut ends and grommeted.
Had held up nicely, makes pretty good shade but does let rain thru.

Back
Top Bottom