Webbing injury

Miss Ducky

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
This morning, mom and dad noticed that one of my ducks was limping. I went out 2 hours or so later when I was informed to check it out. They all appeared fine. We had to leave for most of the day for my big sis's graduation
smile.png
I went out immediately upon arrival home to check out my ducks. It turns out she was limping due to a split in her webbing. She appears to be barely limping now, and the injury appears to be healing itself without infection. Is there anything else I can do to help with recovery or should I just let it heal itself? Thank you!

Well I'm not an expert on ducks, but make sure she has enough clean water to dip her feet in. This is important because it will help keep things from sticking to the wound and infecting it. I would also put some antibiotic cream on it, but I'm not sure about this last part.

Thank you Agregg. She's got a large pond which is also their drinking water, as well as a plethora of large puddles. I'm really worried because she started limping pretty bad again and now it looks like she's having trouble keeping her wings tucked in. I'll check her foot for infection as soon as they come closer to the duck coop. (They're way out back playing in puddles now)

Deepending on the severity of the split, you should be aware that the webbing will not fully heal back together - my Daisy (a khaki campbell) got a puncture wound i her webbing and I woas told it would never heal back.

Keep the injury clean and apply some triple antibiotic ointment once a day.

You mentioned puddles - are they kept on muddy ground with muddy puddles? Ducks can get a disease called Botulism which is caused by being kept in this kind of environment with any old food present etc.

"Botulism
Ducks that have access to stagnant ponds or other areas where decaying organic matter (animal carcasses, in particular) is found may consume toxins produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. This happens when temperature and other conditions are right for the growth of this anaerobic spore-forming bacterium. Botulism causes a progressive flaccid (limp) paralysis of the neck (limberneck), legs and wings. Affected ducks usually die in a coma within 24-48 hours."

Source: http://www.duckhealth.com/duckhlth.html

Best
of luck!

Back
Top Bottom