Week Old Silkie Question...My silkies dont like me! (PICS)

jazzchick who could resist that. lol. Some lucky chicks.
D.gif

I found that when they are acting scared if i just wiggle my finger around in the food or the water so they can hear the sound most of them will come running back to you and forget about being frightened

THE EDIT. I forgot that i also make a clicking noise when i approach them and say hey babies i got fresh food and water. Usually this gets them all stopped in there tracks and looking at me. then if they still get scared about the hand coming in the brooder I make the noise in their food and water dish and they are instantly calm and run back. I think this makes them think I'm there momma, so when i scratch around in the food or water they cant resist coming to see what I'm showing them. I look at as my way of becoming there provider/momma.

Last edited:
I would lay my hand on the bottom of the floor of their pen. They come over and hop on it and sit. We all hold them as often as we can. We have two daughters who are willing and able, without stressing them. Once they moved from our guest bathroom to outside they became even more affectionate. They were always eager to come and sit in our laps for worms or whatever, especially the roosters. We started peeping at them and singing the same song to them every time we were with them so they would know us. Give your silkies time. They are very curious as they get older and like to sit on our feet.

So stinkin' cute! I just re-read your post and see that it was written way back in February. By now, I am CERTAIN your chicks have imprinted. Tonight my three girls (10 weeks old) flew up to sit on my lap. I love to be with them before they bunk up for the night. They are settling down and get all snuggly with us. We still peep our sounds to each other. I think they really think I am their mother! lol

I hatched six out of eight eggs in my custom made incubator. My hen who is from a previous batch adopted them all and it was not hard for me at all to bond with the new babies. She used to bring them to me and in the house at night since they all sleep in my garage . hey adore me and even the roosters are very tame. We have a real mom and babies bond. Silkies are excellent pets and very lovable birds. I recommend to have a lot of petting time and talk softly. They will love you and recognize your voice. Trust me. Good luck!

I also need chicken names for my new chicks!! <3 :)

Here are some names
chicken drum stick
Mary
DJ
Stg pepper
Chicken wing
Dog
Cat
Jane
Rosy
Zoey
Roxy
Chicken breast fillet
Pip
Sandy
People from the mrs men show like miss messy or mr angry
I am calling mine Dippi, nuggets, and zoey
My little bro is calling his black one
Dark vader ( even know its a girl)

Hi, I have six chicks and I am using the alphabet to name them. So far I have, Abigail, Bonnie, Cutie, Darla, Elaine,& Fergie...
When I get a new batch I will go on with Gilda etc. Might just give you an idea, you could start backwards.

awwwwwww i remember when my chickens hated me just sit with them and talk to them as much as u can and when they seem happy and not running around like mad hatters stick ur hand in their area where they eat sleep drink and just sit ur hand there and once theyre calm and not runnin around just try and pick one up and talk softly then put it up to ur neck where it is warm and they will feel comfortable

And for the names i reckon Steggles as one

Last edited:
With 4 kids we worry about "chicken germs" too. We also hatch and raise chicks all the time. A quick fix for the kids is germx aka hand sanitizer.....since we have the big flock outside and the kids are always playing with the big chickens I worry about them transferring a "germ" to the babies. So they simply use the germx before and after handling the babies. Regular handwashing is great but just in case someone forgets the germx is right there with the babies!!!!

Hi, you should definetly cuddle them heaps, it will make them more comfortable around you when they grow up, and if you cuddle them enough they may even come to you and cuddle up to you , by themselves! when I had my first Isa brown she would literally search for me all day, and sometimes, if I left the door open she would come inside to find me!
thumbsup.gif

D.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom