Weird and Wonderful Eggs

AlineD

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Wyoming
Yay yay yay! My leghorns are coming into lay. One has been laying for maybe two weeks (starting at 17 weeks), and another will start any day now, I think. The other day I went out to the coop and found these soft eggs:

It was in the morning, and they were laying on the poop board under the roost, like they took the chicken by surprise. (She lays in the nesting box and has never laid on the poop board before.) They were about 10 inches from each other. The one on the right was broken, with the yolk spilled out. (Thankfully, it didn't look like the chickens were interested in eating it.) The other was unbroken, with yolk and whites inside. I think both eggs must have come from the same chicken, as I haven't gotten any other eggs from a new layer, yet. If this is so, then my newly laying hen would have laid both of these at roughly the same time, I think.

Has anyone else seem something like this before? Since then she has laid two normal eggs. Still no egg from the other almost-layer....I don't think.

Meanwhile, I just love how fresh these eggs are. Here are five eggs from my hen (who is still laying small eggs), with one store bought egg for comparison. It's just so fabulous.
wee.gif

Ya, they show up pretty often from new layers especially, or in birds just coming back into lay as as they get into gear, they are usually nothing to worry about unless you get a lot of them or one bird never lays anything else.
It is not necessarily related to a lack of calcium as such, it can be related to the bird's ability to use calcium or a defective shell gland. If it is just one bird doing it continuously, it is probably a problem specific to her, and probably not diet/ disease/ disturbances which would affect the whole flock. There is a list of causes on The Poultry Site ... http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

Thanks for the comments, and the link, Kelsie 2290!

What surprised me most is that there were two of them!

Back
Top Bottom