Weird nests

Cascadia

Welcome to the Flint Hills...
Feb 22, 2023
So, a while ago I noticed that a Mourning Dove was nesting on one of our porch pillars (pics included). We assume that they have been nesting here every year since they did not build the nest (it was already there in the first place), but we are not sure since we have just moved into our house a year ago. Well, they had a successful batch of eggs which grew into 2 cute chicks which fledged. Then they did it again, successfully (2 chicks again). And they are doing it again right now, but that is where the twist comes in.

I was watching the nest and the Mourning Dove mom incubating the eggs during the evening. The spot they chose was quiet and private. Hawks would have a hard time attacking. Then I went to sleep. The next morning, I went to watch them again. The mom was still there, and all seemed fine. The Mourning Doves don't mind us watching them. Then, I noticed another nest on another pillar. That nest wasn't there last night! Turns out, a Robin built a nest overnight and is becoming neighbors with the mourning doves. Pic:

1711744881072.jpeg

The Mourning doves are circled in orange, the Robins in yellow. I don't know if it is common for birds to nest this close to each other, but it is sure funny to see them 4 ft away from each other every day. And I might update when both nests hatch.

That is so cool! I enjoy the Mourning Doves and Robins around our house, but haven't had any nest like that. How fun!

Update: The mourning dove chicks are ginormous, and the robin chicks are even larger. 2 chicks in each nest. Well, actually, the correct term would be fledglings. They look like their ready to leave the nest. However, the mourning doves have launched attacks against the robins several times. Although I don't recommend interference myself, I scared the mourning dove off since it would have probably killed the robin chicks. I was careful not to scare them too much however, since they could abandon the nest (No projectiles or sandals; just opening the front door scares them). Anyways, A sparrow has also decided to nest in a tree literally right next to the Robins and Mourning doves. Go to my first post and in that picture, you'll see a tall evergreen tree next to the mourning dove nest. That tree is the one the sparrows are nesting in. It would have been funnier if they took the third pillar (We have 4 pillars on our porch), but the tree does provide better protection. I'm trying to get picture in, but the Robin is very skittish and opening a crack in our front door sends the mom flying. She can also see us through the windows. The mourning dove isn't as scared though.

Back
Top Bottom