Welsummer Chicks, How do you tell Hens from Roosters?

By the time they are a couple of weeks old the pullets will grow tail feathers, cockerals will be tail-less for a long time. This is more dependable than the markings (unless they come from a line specific for that.)

I have NO idea where Gabbard Farms got their Welsummers because I have already sent two emails to her and never got a response.

maybe someone got better luck!

Welsummers are not an auto-sexing breed like the Cream Legbar. An auto-sexing breed can be sexed at hatch by the white dot on the head (cockerel) or chipmunk stripe (pullet.) I often read about being able to sex RIR, Welsummers, or other breeds by the feathers at hatch, but it is not true. That would make them auto-sexing, and thus highly sought after because no one would have to anxiously wait to see how many roosters they had out of a hatch.

Only an auto-sexing or sex-linked hybrid can be sexed at hatch by color pattern.

you can also sex them by their wing feathers, female have uneven feathers and males have all even feathers

My bird is just over 1 month old and began making a very weak pathetic crow. Was supposed to be a pullet but I have had my other hens attempt to crow before. Is this a roo or hen with gender identity issues?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom