Welsummer... Roo; right?

Peep_Show

Free Ranging
14 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Corrales, NM
This chick hatched out with all the markings of a femme Welsummer (heavy eyeliner, sharp chipmunking), but now at 4.5 weeks looks not like the other Wellie chicks. A bit darker chest and larger comb.
Roo; right?
IMG_1846.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1852.JPG

That exact same thing happened to me with a Welsummer chick! It had picture perfect markings for a female chick, but right around 4-5 weeks, it started getting really large, pink comb and wattles. Another week went by and black feathers started coming in on the breast. I thought I'd wait to see whether it crowed or laid an egg just to be sure, but right around 6 weeks the little bugger started this screeching noise and I knew he was trying to crow - then I was sure.

The females comb and wattles will stay pretty pale almost until they start laying, and their breast feathers will be a *very* uniform salmon color.

Your chick looks exactly like mine did that ended up being a cockerel. Fortunately, I was able to return mine to the feed store to re-home it. I exchanged it for a known female. I would love to have kept it, as the Welsummer roosters are very good looking, but my circumstances currently wouldn't have allowed it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Back
Top Bottom