We've got a Weasel. Please Help!!!

the Old Rebel

Rest in Peace -2011
12 Years
May 12, 2007
Hendersonville NC
What do I do now???? Something attacked our Buff Rock roo the other night. We thought it was a small coon. But it came back last night and killed one of my hens. We heard the ruckus and flew out there. It's a weasel!!!
rant.gif
In 10 years of having birds, we've battled many things, but never this.

I NEED HELP AND I NEED HELP FAST!!!!! I have 76 birds to protect. I am just sick
th.gif

Is there any kind of structure that is secure from them? I read on the internet that they can get into almost anything.

Will a weasel attack turkeys and peacocks?? I read that they will attack things many times larger than themselves.

Is there something I can get TODAY that is a natural predator for weasels?? What if we installed a big spotlight?? Would that keep the nasty thing away??

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

The only thing I can think that might help is an electric fence placed low to the ground and another run a couple of inches up from that. One way to get it for sure is to do a stake out and shoot it when it shows up again. Good luck.
fl.gif

Because weasels are the most clever and destructive kind of predator when it comes to chickens, you must enclose your birds securely with no opening greater than 1/2". You must also check to see that the predator is not living inside the coop or coop loft, emerging to feed then hiding again- they will do this for weeks on end until the flock is wiped out - and there could be more than one. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but this is a job which may require professional help and a lot of determination. Wear gloves and goggles, dress in layers, a confronted weasel can be very agressive. We have them in the form of the pine marten, and had to construct our coop like Fort Knox. Even so, we check our barn loft and all around our hardware cloths and flanges daily.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-ThinkWeasel

OMG! Thanks soooooo much. This is too much for me. Thankfully these particular pens are fairly simple construction. No place for one to hide on the inside. The problem is we used wire that is quite strong (to keep it from rusting through), but it is 1 1/2" wide by 3" long. That's what we're covering now with regular poultry wire.

Can you cover with 1/2" gauge hardware cloth?

Or do you have small-gauge poultry wire with the tiny hexagons?

Here, we can't shoot weasels or pine martens because they are fur-bearers and because the pine marten is a protected species. But if it is legal for you to stand guard with a 0.22 I think I'd do it. Assuming you can handle a firearm and are a good shot.

Last edited:
We had a weasel take half the flock this summer. they are NOTHING to mess with! We covered EVERYTHING with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. WE also keep the radio on at night. The darn thing hasn't been back since.

We also have cats.... and they disappeared when the weasel was around. They also have a funny smell about them. You can tell when a weasel has been in the area.

Good luck!

We have mongooses here, and they are the same.. Yes , use the hardware cloth, i don't know about weasels, but mongooses attack only during daylight hours, so our dog keeps them at bay. They break into brooders and just kill, they can squeeze into places like large rats, so think of keeping out a rat, and they can climb too...

Back
Top Bottom