What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
So you use Kong to breed marans because they’re pure bred? I’m trying to figure this whole chicken breed thing out. And King breeds for mixes?
Yes, exactly...
I'm using King with the Barred Rocks (BCM x BR) to make Marans hybrids that are sex linked. Some hatcheries call them Midnight Majesty Marans. Females are black with copper hints in their hackles that usually lay a darker egg with speckles. Males will be barred and will have a white head spot at hatch. =(Sex links).

And then BCM x EE (Easter Eggers) makes Olive Eggers. Depending on if my EE has 2 copies of the blue gene the pullets will lay Olive eggs. If she only has 1 copy the pullets should lay brown eggs. I haven't got this one figured out yet because my first hatch of Olive Eggers were all males.

Still learning all this genetic stuff, so not an expert.

Yes, exactly...
I'm using King with the Barred Rocks (BCM x BR) to make Marans hybrids that are sex linked. Some hatcheries call them Midnight Majesty Marans. Females are black with copper hints in their hackles that usually lay a darker egg with speckles. Males will be barred and will have a white head spot at hatch. =(Sex links).

And then BCM x EE (Easter Eggers) makes Olive Eggers. Depending on if my EE has 2 copies of the blue gene the pullets will lay Olive eggs. If she only has 1 copy the pullets should lay brown eggs. I haven't got this one figured out yet because my first hatch of Olive Eggers were all males.

Yes, exactly...

Well you sound like an expert to me! Midnight majesty is an awesome name for a breed! Also this sounds complicated. You do this for fun?

Ok my trusted chicken ppl, my pullets (10 weeks) are outside in their coop/run. It’s 96 degrees here with billion % humidity. They’re panting. I gave them ice water, and misted their feet. Their dirt bath is in a shaded area but dang it’s hot. Will they be ok? Should I bring them back in? Suggestions please..

Ok my trusted chicken ppl, my pullets (10 weeks) are outside in their coop/run. It’s 96 degrees here with billion % humidity. They’re panting. I gave them ice water, and misted their feet. Their dirt bath is in a shaded area but dang it’s hot. Will they be ok? Should I bring them back in? Suggestions please..
Also they have a fan in the coop

You are doing all the right things.
I hose down the dirt in the shade which makes it cool and give them frozen treats.
Panting is how they stay cool.
I think you just have to watch them - if they start looking listless or stop drinking I might bring them in. But most likely they will be fine.
Sudden changes I. Temperature are also not great so I wouldn’t bring them in and out of A/C.
96 is about when mine start to look sorry for themselves. But plenty of folk here have chickens who cope with much higher temps.

You are doing all the right things.
I hose down the dirt in the shade which makes it cool and give them frozen treats.
Panting is how they stay cool.
I think you just have to watch them - if they start looking listless or stop drinking I might bring them in. But most likely they will be fine.
Sudden changes I. Temperature are also not great so I wouldn’t bring them in and out of A/C.
96 is about when mine start to look sorry for themselves. But plenty of folk here have chickens who cope with much higher temps.
Ok thank you!!! I do run a/c, there’s a 20 degree difference I don’t want to shock them or chill them. I’m freezing some watermelon, hope that helps. I HATE this southern heat!

Back
Top Bottom