What animals get along with chickens?

basement chick

Songster
8 Years
May 20, 2015
North Carolina
I'm down to one hen and getting out of chicken keeping but don't want to get rid of my last girl. She has only been with one other hen for 3 years so she isn't too lonely by herself but sometimes seems bored when I can't be outside with her very much. What other animals has anyone had luck keeping with chickens in a run?

It sort of depends on what you classify as ‘getting out of chicken keeping’. Are you getting out of keeping birds altogether? Are you okay with trading the chicken keeping time for the time to keep a different small animal?

If you’re open to having more/different birds, obviously another chicken would be good for her, but I’ve seen people keep lots of different birds together, provided they can eat the same sorts of things. I keep chickens and Guinea fowl together. I’ve seen people keep quail and hens together, provided the run is quail secure.

I would be a little worried keeping something small like Guinea pigs in with a hen but that’s only because I’ve never seen it done. I’ve seen them kept with budgies and pigeons, just not hens.

There’s enrichment things you could do to keep her entertained. A mirror, like mentioned above, or food puzzles, like hanging food on strings for her to peck. Even letting her free roam occasionally (especially if you’re out with her gardening or something). Being busy helps them feel less lonely

I have goats and pigs roaming free with my chickens and they don't seem to interact unless steeling food from one another. The goats will sometimes try to stomp the chickens, I have a young rooster that once had a broken wing thanks to a Nigerian × pygmy cross doeling. My potbelly pigs don't fight them much, I could see them getting friendly

Since your plans right now indicate stepping away from having chickens, why not consider re-homing her so she can become part of a flock? You can take your time in finding a good home, knowing that she'll be with others of her kind. You could post info in the Animals for Re-homing" forum here on BYC, and also post in BYCs "Where am I? Where are You?" state-by-state forum. Best of luck on your decision.

Back
Top Bottom