What are favorite vegies to feed to chickens?

I was doing a couple of searches, here and online to find if celery was OK to feed to chickens, and look what I found in www.poultryhelp.com under 'toxic plants':

Brassica spp. (CABBAGE, KALE, MUSTARD); leaves; plant is goitrogenic; may contain toxic levels of nitrates; B. napus (CULTIVATED RAPE) is hepatogenic.

ep.gif

A few of you have posted that you give your flock Kale. This confuses me (so easy to do anyway!
roll.png
).

By the way, still looking for info on if celery is ok or not...any advice?​

Quote:
ep.gif

A few of you have posted that you give your flock Kale. This confuses me (so easy to do anyway!
roll.png
).

By the way, still looking for info on if celery is ok or not...any advice?

I have a parrot and used to give him celery, anyway the vet told me not too because of it being stringy. No other reasons did she mention. I know I've choked on it before. I guess if you cut it up pretty small tho the string thing would not be a problem.
hu.gif

Well, it sounds like I'll have to fence in the veggie garden like the wife suggested. It sounds like the compost pile will be getting a bit slim after this weekend.

Quote:
ep.gif

roll.png
).

By the way, still looking for info on if celery is ok or not...any advice?

I have a parrot and used to give him celery, anyway the vet told me not too because of it being stringy. No other reasons did she mention. I know I've choked on it before. I guess if you cut it up pretty small tho the string thing would not be a problem.
hu.gif

I get just the leaves and hearts (no stocks) from a local wing place for FREE. It kinda gets rid of the stringy problem I have found.
smile.png
just a thought

My chicks are about 6 weeks old. I gave them some bits of apple and some mango. They did not eat it. My mother gave them cabbage and they did not eat that. However they loved the grass clipping and bird seed my son gave them and there is a weed in my yard they are crazy for. I though maybe they were not old enough yet to try much more than the grower feed. My husband wanted to let them have a few leftover spagetti noodles I told him "no". I guess I will wait a few weeks and try some veggies or fruit again. I will still let them have the grass and weeds though.

Back
Top Bottom