What are Muscovy's?

They are not derived from a mallard. They can fly and roost. If a mallard derived duck (Most domestic ducks) and a Muscovy mate the baby's will be sterile. Also some of the mule ducks will lay eggs and some will not be able to. Mule ducks are mallard/Muscovy ducks.

Last edited:
They are not derived from a mallard. They can fly and roost. If a mallard derived duck (Most domestic ducks) and a Muscovy mate the baby's will be sterile. Also some of the mule ducks will lay eggs and some will not be able to. Mule ducks are mallard/Muscovy ducks.
Yeah I knew all that too but thanks for re-quoting what I already read on the internet. I understand why they fly too.. . I'm asking how did the red masks evolve, why don't they quack and why are the Musc/Mallard offspring mule ducks?
I lived on the Humboldt Bay for quite a few years and saw many wild ducks but still none came close to Muscovy.

Last edited:
The reason the offspring are mules is like why a horse/donkey is. I don't understand what you mean with your other questions. I don't know the science behind why they don't quack, I would just say its not the noise the make. And same with the masks. Just how they are. Sorry I cant help more.

Wild Muscovites occur in Central and South America. It is thought they were domesticated either on the southern Carribean Coast, Paraguay, and possibly eastern Peru. Taxonomically the are included in the perching duck tribe, which also includes wood ducks and mandarins.

They don't quack because they are not typical dabbling ducks. The caruncles are sexual ornaments. The hybrids are sterile because of genetic differences.

Clint

The reason the offspring are mules is like why a horse/donkey is. I don't understand what you mean with your other questions. I don't know the science behind why they don't quack, I would just say its not the noise the make. And same with the masks. Just how they are. Sorry I cant help more.
Nothing is "just how it is", there is an explanation for everything. But thanks again

They are from South America and found their way north. In some states (TX & FL) they are considered an invasive species and are considered a nuisance. They say their name derived from being called mosquito ducks and were very good at eating the larvae and full grown insects. As kids we used to call them turkey ducks.

Wild Muscovites occur in Central and South America. It is thought they were domesticated either on the southern Carribean Coast, Paraguay, and possibly eastern Peru. Taxonomically the are included in the perching duck tribe, which also includes wood ducks and mandarins.

They don't quack because they are not typical dabbling ducks. The caruncles are sexual ornaments. The hybrids are sterile because of genetic differences.

Clint
Cool. Are there any other close examples/relatives with similar features?
I found this 'Pygmy Goose' which looks similar and has a facial feature/caruncle.

They are from South America and found their way north. In some states (TX & FL) they are considered an invasive species and are considered a nuisance. They say their name derived from being called mosquito ducks and were very good at eating the larvae and full grown insects. As kids we used to call them turkey ducks.
I though the name came from the "Muscovite Trading Co."?

ThAt's not a pygmy goose...it's comb duck. There are 2 subspecies, one in South America and one in Africa.

It is also suggested the name comes from the Muysca Indians who lived on the Nicaragua Coast and probably had some of the first domestic Muscovites encountered...they called them Musco Duck.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom