What are the best small, cheap incubators

Hi Amy ,
I agree with your point of view . it just depends on how many chicks you want and the grow out space you have. many backyarders just don't have the grow out space for 42 chicks. or don't want 42 chicks. With a mini you can start early season and hatch out 7 chicks. grow them out in your Brooder . 2 or 3 weeks after the first hatch, set another 7 eggs and they will hatch just as the 1st batch is heading out to the coop. it's a very good way for somebody who wants a small flock to get started.
Best,
Karen

But that's just it. You don't have to fill the bigger bators. A little over a week ago I hatched 6 silkies. Now I have 24 in there. 4 that are clear. But you have the availability to hatch more if you decide to later on, or like me, hatch to sell. They work equally well whether you have few eggs or many, at least the Hovabators do. And as far as electrical use a member broke down the whole useage/expense involved running a standard styro table top for incubation period and it was next to nothing. Plus, the chicks have room to actually move around after hatch.

I just can't come to terms with buying a mini for the price of a perfectly decent standard sized bator, unless money is not an issue. I started out with an old lg 9200 in 2014. I hatched my entire flock, and started out small. Only wanted 7-8 laying hens. That changed quickly. Luckily I hatched out something like 16 and after selling/giving away extra Roos ended up with 7 girls and kept a couple Roos.

I'm sure the minis have their pros, and they are suitable for some, just not a choice I'd make.

Adding, I can understand buying a more reasonable priced mini, just not paying that much for a mini when the same $ will buy a very good bigger bator.

Last edited:
I like the hovabators. I really like my 1588...and also have a 1602 still air that I have been using as a hatcher only. The thing with styrofoam incubators is to keep them in a closet, where the temps are steady.
This week i am trying something new in my 1602...a ceramic floor tile placed in the bottom to see if it will help hold temps more steady. We will see if that makes a difference, and I do think it will

I like the hovabators.  I really like my 1588...and also have a 1602 still air that I have been using as a hatcher only.  The thing with styrofoam incubators is to keep them in a closet, where the temps are steady.
This week i am trying something new in my 1602...a ceramic floor tile placed in the bottom to see if it will help hold temps more steady.  We will see if that makes a difference, and I do think it will

Have you tried a mason jar filled with water? It helps also..

Have you tried a mason jar filled with water? It helps also..

Well I want to try the floor tile first because it takes up no space, goes right on the styrofoam floor and fits perfectly under the tray. I don't really get huge fluctuations, but I would like to be able to take the lid off and have the temp come up more quickly afterward. We will see! And i also have lots of mason jars that may come in handy with your idea :)

Last edited:
Ok
To each is own .I found the Mini Advances to be excellent incubators and to be very versatile .and I really like them a lot. I think they're great place to get started. look at the number of eggs you are hatching . some people just don't want that. ever.
Best ,
Karen

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your comments. I am going to get a brinsea mini advance because we wouldn't have had enough space in our coop for 40 more!!! Which website will sell them cheapest?!?!

I just got the brinsea mini eco. It very steady with temp. First time hatching ducks and so far it day 23 and all are alive and thriving. They are half the price of the advance, but u have to hand turn them

Back
Top Bottom