What are these black marks on my chickens face? *Should I use Iodine?

Chocobo

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I am brand new to chickens so I am not even sure if this is a problem but it sure doesn't LOOK normal to me.
I have three chickens. Two Buff Orpingtons and an Easter Egger.
There are these black marks on both of my BOs that I just noticed. The EE does not have them.
Here are some pics:

This one has it on her face and wattle.
93565_spot4.jpg

93565_spot2.jpg

And this one just has it on the tip of her comb.
93565_spot3.jpg

93565_spot1.jpg

I live in Texas and it hasn't gone below freezing so it can't be frostbite and I've never seen them peck at each other or be aggressive so I don't THINK it is a pecking injury but obviously I don't see them all the time.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Quote:
It looks like it to me, too. Our whole flock came down with fowl pox the fall before last. The disease runs its course, and then the chickens will be immune for life.

I don't know of any way to confirm other than just observing the characteristic progression of the disease. The black spots will turn into fluid filled blisters, then scab over, and after a few weeks disappear.

The disease can be serious if the chicken gets lesions inside its throat that interfere with breathing or eating. Our little roo had this happen to him, but he pulled through anyway.

Fowl pox isn't contagious to humans, by the way.

Interestingly enough, the hens in our flock that came down with fowl pox were artificially raised in a brooder. We have six other hens in the flock who were raised naturally by these same hens, and even though this is their second fall, none of these chickens have so far gotten fowl pox. I wonder if a hen can pass on immunities to her chicks somehow.

After doing some research and looking at a lot of pictures I'm pretty sure you guys were right and it is fowl pox.
Some people say to use Iodine on the marks and some say to do nothing.
Is there any actual reason NOT to use iodine?

No reason not to...I just am not one for doing anything I don't have to do. My to-do lists are waaaay too long! LOL Mine had it last year. It just went away.

Its fowl pox, which is transmitted from mosquitoes. Not really anything to worry about, it will just have to run its course. They should clear up in a week or two and be just fine. In the meantime you could put alittle iodine or neosporin on the scabs if they seem to be stratching or picking at them. I've heard once they have this they can't get it again.

Back
Top Bottom