what are y'all saving from the wild to deal with coming crisis?

Pics
Not sure how to spell that virus but it was causes by rodent urine. One person caught it in Virginia. I remember it well. Haunta (phonetic) virus was first found on an Indian reservation (I think) north west of Albuquerque.
You are right ~ it's Hanta Virus...my cat jumped into my lap while I was typing and I didn't proof-read. I've killed over 50 mice in my coop in the last 2 months ~ my cats are apparently on strike. Good Luck!

This is a very US-centric thread, which is not surprising as most posters here are American. However, the challenges we face are global and the picture looks different in other parts of the world.

I live in the South of Europe in an area which is very dry compared to 60+ years ago. Back then, it used to rain throughout autumn, winter and spring, allowing for a variety of crops to be planted that are now not possible (without irrigation). Our last rains were in April; prior to that it rained once or twice this year. In October and November 2018 we had excessive rains that caused much damage and nothing in between or after. The pattern of a lot of rain followed by long stretches of no rain is all too common.

Last autumn there were freak winds storms in Italy that decimated forests/trees in a huge area and caused tremendous damage to infrastructure (roads, etc.) also. This is unheard of in that part of the world. Further north, I remember talking to a chap from Finland who had been observing tree growth in the North of his country; I can't remember the details but the bottom line was that it was clear that the snow area was diminishing significantly.

This is all anecdotal, but the change of weather patterns is very real to me, even within my lifetime.

Whether the change in climate is due to human, solar or other activity is beyond my present ability to accurately ascertain. Like most things, I imagine it is a combination of factors.

What is clear to me, is that humans are causing dangerous levels of destruction to our ecosystem, globally. Today's rampant consumerism, spurred by unethical manufacturers and fuelled by a mindless market, is unsustainable. The throw-away culture spreading across the globe (to societies as soon as they can afford it) is our downfall: I'm talking food, gadgets, clothing, appliances, plastics, etc. The damage to and decimation of important habitats has an impact on the food chain and life across the planet.

I'm not worried about this winter, but the future does concern me.

:hmm

to feed your feather crew? unless y'all have been on the moon lately{LOL). supposedly earth changes are here and getting worse everyday.
So much rain here in ky. and other breadbaskets areas. people having to sell off their herds last summer because of droughts. now flooding etc farmers fields flooded mud everywhere. other places droughts
Mainstream news is not stressing how bad our food supply is right now and coming. supposedly coming winter is to be worst on record
so what do y'all feel to save back for our feather friends. one chat room suggested grass seeds, wild seeds etc. even box elder. which I haven't looked up yet
the animals around here are acting strange
anyones thoughts?

The first I heard of "the coming crisis" you write about, was from your OP. In this part of the world we are not facing a dire winter because of food supply problems.

Thank you for starting this thread, I've found it very interesting, even if a lot of the suggestions are not applicable in my area.

I hope that you are able to provide for your flock and family and wish you all well.

one crisis that has now been brought up is water (Iberia) Here is a partial copy of Wikipedia's "Ogallala Aquifer" (I might disagree with part but I posted it anyway)

The Ogallala Aquifer (oh-guh-LAH-luh) is a shallow water table aquifer surrounded by sand, silt, clay, and gravel located beneath the Great Plains in the United States. One of the world's largest aquifers, it underlies an area of approximately 174,000 sq mi (450,000 km2) in portions of eight states (South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Texas).[1] It was named in 1898 by geologist N. H. Darton from its type locality near the town of Ogallala, Nebraska. The aquifer is part of the High Plains Aquifer System, and rests on the Ogallala Formation, which is the principal geologic unit underlying 80% of the High Plains.[2][3]

Large scale extraction for agricultural purposes started after World War II due partially to center pivot irrigation and to the adaptation of automotive engines for groundwater wells.[4] Today about 27% of the irrigated land in the entire United States lies over the aquifer, which yields about 30% of the ground water used for irrigation in the United States.[5] The aquifer is at risk for over-extraction and pollution. Since 1950, agricultural irrigation has reduced the saturated volume of the aquifer by an estimated 9%. Once depleted, the aquifer will take over 6,000 years to replenish naturally through rainfall.[6]

The aquifer system supplies drinking water to 82% of the 2.3 million people (1990 census) who live within the boundaries of the High Plains study area.[7]

This is a very US-centric thread, which is not surprising as most posters here are American. However, the challenges we face are global and the picture looks different in other parts of the world.

I live in the South of Europe in an area which is very dry compared to 60+ years ago. Back then, it used to rain throughout autumn, winter and spring, allowing for a variety of crops to be planted that are now not possible (without irrigation). Our last rains were in April; prior to that it rained once or twice this year. In October and November 2018 we had excessive rains that caused much damage and nothing in between or after. The pattern of a lot of rain followed by long stretches of no rain is all too common.

Last autumn there were freak winds storms in Italy that decimated forests/trees in a huge area and caused tremendous damage to infrastructure (roads, etc.) also. This is unheard of in that part of the world. Further north, I remember talking to a chap from Finland who had been observing tree growth in the North of his country; I can't remember the details but the bottom line was that it was clear that the snow area was diminishing significantly.

This is all anecdotal, but the change of weather patterns is very real to me, even within my lifetime.

Whether the change in climate is due to human, solar or other activity is beyond my present ability to accurately ascertain. Like most things, I imagine it is a combination of factors.

What is clear to me, is that humans are causing dangerous levels of destruction to our ecosystem, globally. Today's rampant consumerism, spurred by unethical manufacturers and fuelled by a mindless market, is unsustainable. The throw-away culture spreading across the globe (to societies as soon as they can afford it) is our downfall: I'm talking food, gadgets, clothing, appliances, plastics, etc. The damage to and decimation of important habitats has an impact on the food chain and life across the planet.

I'm not worried about this winter, but the future does concern me.

:hmm

I am reading this and thinking of the incredibly high temps in France right now. And then one entire area of India that is becoming uninhabitable due to a severe lack of water. I suspect the U.S. is world leader in climate change denial even in spite of massive floods and unseasonable snow. Yes. Yes. People deny climate change because they don’t understand the complexity of how warmer oceans contribute to harsher weather. And many don’t understand the difference between climate and weather, g-d bless their empty hollow heads. I have also seen much environmental damage in my lifetime. Plants, birds and mammals have vanished from habitats I knew well. One entire eco type near my home went from widespread to a tiny preserve in about ten years. I always joked about how much I loved my hubby because I moved from 12 miles to the beach to inland. The day we looked for an apartment it was 109F and I thought I would die. 38 years on last summer it was 117F. 117F! Those are Death Valley temps! So enough from me. Thank you for your contribution. Please continue!

one crisis that has now been brought up is water (Iberia) Here is a partial copy of Wikipedia's "Ogallala Aquifer" (I might disagree with part but I posted it anyway)

The Ogallala Aquifer (oh-guh-LAH-luh) is a shallow water table aquifer surrounded by sand, silt, clay, and gravel located beneath the Great Plains in the United States. One of the world's largest aquifers, it underlies an area of approximately 174,000 sq mi (450,000 km2) in portions of eight states (South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Texas).[1] It was named in 1898 by geologist N. H. Darton from its type locality near the town of Ogallala, Nebraska. The aquifer is part of the High Plains Aquifer System, and rests on the Ogallala Formation, which is the principal geologic unit underlying 80% of the High Plains.[2][3]

Large scale extraction for agricultural purposes started after World War II due partially to center pivot irrigation and to the adaptation of automotive engines for groundwater wells.[4] Today about 27% of the irrigated land in the entire United States lies over the aquifer, which yields about 30% of the ground water used for irrigation in the United States.[5] The aquifer is at risk for over-extraction and pollution. Since 1950, agricultural irrigation has reduced the saturated volume of the aquifer by an estimated 9%. Once depleted, the aquifer will take over 6,000 years to replenish naturally through rainfall.[6]

The aquifer system supplies drinking water to 82% of the 2.3 million people (1990 census) who live within the boundaries of the High Plains study area.[7]
@ocap I like those books by the way.

Back
Top Bottom