What are you adding to your flock this year?

Pics
I will be staking out the local feed store which is supposed to get 25 Sapphire Olive Egger chicks the second week of April.

But what if they don't arrive? What if I get there too late and someone else gets them all (I only want two)? Gee, maybe I better try to snag a couple of the Sapphire Splash chicks the first week of April, just in case? Well, if I miss all the Czech girls, maybe I can get a couple of my long-sought-after Dominiques later in April.

And, that my friends, is how my chicken math works and why I had to spend a fortune two years ago to build what is fondly referred to as The Taj Ma-Coop.
chicken_math.jpg

Hubby will build a grow out coop/run this fall . I hope to add a few more, at that time. Original flock is dwindling down to a BA broody girl. I also found an old incubator(galvanized metal ) at thrift store I may play with. I gave a starter flock 2 hens & 1 roo to some friends and I can get eggs from them. But then there's the roo problem.
I look at the farm stores cause I'm addicted, but I have no place except original coop and run to grow them out in. Good luck to all.

Added two barnyard mix/olive egger/chipmunk type/mystery chicks this year to keep it exciting. They’re a little over three weeks and currently in the bathtub bin brooder 🙂

One looks like it may have some Welsummer in it. The other is interesting, curious to see how it feathers out. They both have single combs, that are somewhat pronounced, so keeping an eye on that.

FEA4A88C-BBCE-483F-BED7-49F120325E06.jpeg

BB8373E7-CCDE-4A98-BEB0-8258C93ABB9D.jpeg

Last edited:
I currently have chicks that I hatched out. New to chickens. Hatching out quite a few this spring to get started.

Orpingtons - buff, lavender and isabel
Copper Marans
Cochins - buff & lavender/lavender mottled
Blue jersey giant
Blue polish
Ameraucana - wheaten/blue wheaten
Brahma - buff/blue buff Columbian

8 chicks in the brooder and 10 in the incubator waiting on day 21 😍

So far I have added a Rouen and Swedish blue ducks. Next week I am adding 2 more ducks, won’t know what breed until I sex them in store as I need two females. Hoping for a Pekin and Khaki Campbell. Also have 10 chicks I’m raising for my in laws we plan to keep one, either a blue cuckoo Maran or salmon Faverolle I haven’t decided which I like better yet.

Back
Top Bottom