What are you canning now?

I've always loved the raspberry chipotle sauce but I don't have raspberries or chipotles. I should have plenty of figs soon so I was wondering about a peppery fig jam.

I haven't found the right spot for my Raspberry plants. They just don't take. I do need to spend more time getting them weeded and established. The chickens are a pain in the neck and will jump to eat any berry slightly red.
barnie.gif

@rancher hicks

Apple Rum Raisin. Please share.

I once made an Apple Chutney, I had messed up the recipe tho, double apples and sugar... That was so good and I froze the extra. Was fine. Never canned it. But the Apple Plum might be worth a shot.

Once I get my self to the store for some new lids, I'm going to do the blueberry conserve recipe in the ball book.

I haven't found the right spot for my Raspberry plants. They just don't take. I do need to spend more time getting them weeded and established. The chickens are a pain in the neck and will jump to eat any berry slightly red.
barnie.gif

Rancher you just need to make a vacation trip to my place and give me some knowledge, I will buy an extra bed just for you. I killed my raspberries, which I thought was impossible, within 2 weeks of getting them. I am scared to make jelly at this point. I am trying to get my strawberry production up so I can maybe freeze some for the ice cream, aka smoothies, I would like to make the boys. Just come on over here and explain all this stuff to me and maybe you can get my nerves up to try the pressure canner I got.
hide.gif

Rancher you just need to make a vacation trip to my place and give me some knowledge, I will buy an extra bed just for you. I killed my raspberries, which I thought was impossible, within 2 weeks of getting them. I am scared to make jelly at this point. I am trying to get my strawberry production up so I can maybe freeze some for the ice cream, aka smoothies, I would like to make the boys. Just come on over here and explain all this stuff to me and maybe you can get my nerves up to try the pressure canner I got.
hide.gif
I would like a trip, but DW is going through Chemo right now so trips are out.

Your basic jelly and jams are very easy and don't need a pressure canner. I did have a pressure canner once and it's not to scary if you keep an eye on it. I did carrots once and my hands were all orange from peeling them.

DW sews she's not into canning. Right now she's making dresses for the grand daughters. She is also a very good cook.

You should have gotten a book with your canner. Read the instructions and take the plunge. I think one of the things folks do is think they can just walk away and leave it. Use your microwave for a timer. Too, give it time to cool down.

I recently watch a show on PBS where a lady made Strawberry jam and NO canner. She use Paraffin wax to seal. THAT scares me. She made up the jam, let it sit to cool, put it in the jars and then poured the melted wax over it.

I just thought of something. Youtube. I'm sure there are videos there on canning.

As for my Raspberries. I've watch the Maine video on growing them but it did me know good. I think I've just got to invest more time into them. AND KEEP THE CHICKENS OUT OF THEM.
lol.png

Last edited:
I recently watch a show on PBS where a lady made Strawberry jam and NO canner.  She use Paraffin wax to seal. THAT scares me. She made up the jam, let it sit to cool, put it in the jars and then poured the melted wax over it. 

That's the way the grape jelly I ate growing up was sealed! Only grape tho. Never strawberry. Paraffin wax. Yep.

What about the jellies/jams that never get processed, the inversion method that makes the hot pack seal up ? Now I did do that to a jar that didn't want to seal, but that was *after* it had gone thru it's 15 mins in boiling water!

Has anybody tried the Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving, Apple Pie filling? I have 6 5pound bags of apples I want to make into pie filling, instead of apple sauce or juice. They are red apples, but I still want to try, I can't take anymore apple sauce in my pantry.
Yes, I have - it was fine. I still have some that needs to be used up.

I've also made Apple butter and Carmel Apple Jam, both are fantastic. The apple butter is easy, I did it in the crock pot. I'll have to search for the recipe, I can't seem to find it right now. I know it was @vfem apple butter recipe.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/caramel-apple-jam

This one is good too, but you have to like cranberries. You can't really taste the apple:
http://foodinjars.com/2009/11/gift-in-a-jar-apple-cranberry-jam/

I did plum jam from out tree
And it's super tart. Thinking of finding a cookie recipe to match it with.
Any thumbprint cookie where you put jam in the center. You could also use it in the center of a cake as filling.

Quote: I have a gallon of raspberries from my plants, they do very well here. I'm saving some of them for Peach Melba jam, it's one of my favorites. I also make triple berry - raspberry, blackberry, strawberry.

I've never made it, but someday when I have enough figs, I'm going to try FROG jam. (fig, raspberry, orange and ginger)

Last edited:
Up early for DW's appointment.

APPLE RUM RAISIN CONSERVE:

8 cups - chopped peeled apples that soften.

4 cups - chopped peeled apples that keep their shape.

1 cup - all natural apple juice or unsweetened apple cider.

2 tbsp - lemon juice.

3 3/4 cups - granulated sugar.

1 1/2 cups - packed brown sugar.

1 cup - sultana or golden raisins.

1/2 cup - chopped walnuts (optional)

1/3 cup - amber rum (or 2 tsp/10 mL rum extract.

Moving on.

1. In a Dutch oven or a large , deep, heavy bottomed pot, combine apples, apple juice and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes to soften apples.

2. Add granulated sugar in a steady stream, stirring constantly. Stir in brown sugar and raisins. Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly . Reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, stirring often and reducing heat further as mixture thickens, for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture reaches a soft, jam like consistency. Test for doneness.

3. Stir in (walnuts if using) and rum; boil gently for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let rest for 1 minute. Stir to distribute raisins and nuts.

( this is the point where I drink the rum, and go around the house with an eye patch and call everyone "Me hearty, arrrrgh! " like a Pirate.
lau.gif
) ( just kidding, I don't drink
big_smile.png
)

4. Ladle into sterilized jars to with in 1/2 inch of rim; wipe rims. Apply prepared lids and rings; tighten rings just until fingertip - tight.

5. Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Transfer juars to a towel - lined surface and let rest at room temperature until set. Check seals; refrigerate any unsealed jars for up to 3 weeks.

14 quilted jelly jars of Blueberry Conserve (with golden raisins) and 3 jars peach jam and 3 jars peach-basil jam. But all the chunky peach parts rose to the top? What did I do wrong?

14 quilted jelly jars of Blueberry Conserve (with golden raisins) and 3 jars peach jam and 3 jars peach-basil jam. But all the chunky peach parts rose to the top? What did I do wrong?

One of the things I learned from the PBS show is to let the jam sit and cool for a bit. Take it off the heat and let it sit to cool then stir it to distribute the fruit more evenly.

There are terms "Cold Pack" and "Hot Pack".

Back
Top Bottom