What are you canning now?

NorthFLChick, so far I've made blackberry, peach and apple. The bb I made into jelly and I have the others in the freezer to make into jelly later.

Those all sound good. You're already getting a lot of use out of the new juicer
smile.png

You shouldn't be reducing the pressure. It should be coming back to local pressure on it's own. When the pressure reads full zero, then you remove the pressure cock or the weight, and leave it there for at least 5 minutes. THEN you take the lid off.

The rings loosen while you can and the fast change in pressure when you opened the lid popped the resin flat off and knocked the ring off with it.

Welcome to pressure canning.
Thanks for the heads up! I read and re read the directions, and obviously missed that important tidbit! I won't make that mistake again. Thanks again for your help, and the welcome too.

This is what I plan on canning next: Bacon Jam. When I saw the pic, I knew I had to make this for my husband & youngest son!

Oh do share...... :D pictures, recipe, link...anything... I must make THAT. ;)

Edit...oh I see the recipe( oops that's not a recipe after closer examination)... In TINY writing... Shady lol :p

Last edited:
Today was my first attempt to pressure can. I did 2 batches of venison. First batch was ground venison. I dry packed cooked meat. I made 10 pints, and everything appears to be good. My second batch was also venison, cut up into stewing chunks. I browned all the meat until no longer pink. I saved the meat juices added 2 cups of water, and used that to add liquid to the jars. I made 9 pints of these. Everything was going very well, until just to the end. While I was reducing the pressure, and before opening up the canner, one of the jars popped it's lid. Jar wasn't broken, but some of the meat appeared to pop out of the jar. All the jars have sealed. Any ideas what happened to make the jar not only not seal, but to pop off the entire 2 pc lid?
Other than the opps, I think I did okay for the first attempt!
I have never heard of "dry packing." I have heard of a raw pack in which you do not add liquid to the uncooked meat, but I have never heard of a dry pack with cooked meat?

I found it on Utube. She used ground beef, cooked it, and placed it in hot jars. Without liquid. It worked just fine for her, so that was the first thing I tried. I drained off the fat and water from the meat, but there was still a bit of liquid that was on the bottom of the jar after it was removed from the canner. It has solidified to a small ring of fat in about the center of the jar. It's a very small amount. The person doing the video, said she liked the meat texture much better than the ground meat she had packed in liquid. It wasn't mushy. That was what prompted me to try.

I don't understand why she would cook it at all, let alone add water to it. Why not grind it, put it in the jar like you would with regular, diced up meat and can it in that manner? It would then make its own juice like red meat generally does~which usually turns into a gel~ and could then be crisped up when used later on if desired, but usually ground, canned meat is used in chilis, spaghetti sauce and such and gets moist and soft with that use anyway.

Back
Top Bottom