What are you cooking on New Year's Day?

No traditions here for New Year's but this year I am slow cooking a pot roast. We haven't had one in ages and it was sale at the store last week.
droolin.gif

PunkërTeçhñöRøø§ter :

Mustard greens with bacon, blackeyed peas with hamhock, baked potato, and porterhouse steaks. With Georgia beating Michigan State as dessert !

Oh, you did mean Michigan State beating Georgia, didn't you?
wink.png

Quote:
That's right! Per my PA Dutch family, laundry or any dirt in the house New Year's Day is like bringing all the bad luck from the old year into the new year. So you clean the whole house Dec 31st, do all the laundry, sweep out the fireplace and burn last year's calendar as kindling.

I have my work cut out for me--two quilt projects (one in the bedroom, one in the dining room) that need cut and sorted and put away, three more loads of laundry, heavy blankets and three sweaters need aired out, two loads of dishes and floors to do yet. Thank goddess the food can be made in the crock-pot...I gotta pull a Miss Prissy here and somehow get it done...Someone tell me to stop futzing around on the internet and get to work, please!

OK so according to you all, this is not the time to have a home remodelling project going on? Well, I am doomed for the year then as I have to plaster on one wall and the sheet rock not going up til tomorrow so that DH and I can celebrate our anniversary tonight!

Last edited:
Lets see...tonight is cheesy chicken chowder my daughter is making then crackers and chips and dips and cheese and hot wings and honey bbq wings (not home grown) and soda and cookies and quick breads and hershey kisses and popcorn and hot chocolate and hmmmm........you get the idea. Now New Years day starts out with scrambled egg burrito and dunkin doughnuts coffee served in bed by my DH and for dinner black-eyed peas, dirty rice, ham and spinach. Then starts the eating right until Easter when there is See's chocolate easter eggs and..... oh sorry I got carried away. Love that food.
woot.gif

Quote:
That's right! Per my PA Dutch family, laundry or any dirt in the house New Year's Day is like bringing all the bad luck from the old year into the new year. So you clean the whole house Dec 31st, do all the laundry, sweep out the fireplace and burn last year's calendar as kindling.

I have my work cut out for me--two quilt projects (one in the bedroom, one in the dining room) that need cut and sorted and put away, three more loads of laundry, heavy blankets and three sweaters need aired out, two loads of dishes and floors to do yet. Thank goddess the food can be made in the crock-pot...I gotta pull a Miss Prissy here and somehow get it done...Someone tell me to stop futzing around on the internet and get to work, please!

That reminds me of the time a neighbor told me she changes the sheets on the beds on New Years Eve and somehow I got the idea that was the ONLY time she changed the sheets. Of course I said something stupid and she set me straight.
idunno.gif

OK. Making progress. Dinner in the slow-cooker. I have one load of laundry left (how did the laundry multiply? it turned out to be 6 loads!), dusting in my office and the quilt projects to wrap up. And then I found some herbs I'd been drying for sachets, so I'm going to do those while I do the quilt projects. DH helped with the floors and some dusting. Am taking a break...Think I might have DH make a cheese-n-cracker plate for me.

Hey, what wine goes with spicy hot blackeyed peas? I've got a choice of red, white, bubbly or cheap.
tongue.png

Oh Nooooooo..... I FORGOT about the housecleaning and laundry!
he.gif

But I did introduce the new EE roo to the BR girls, and separate the bantys from the big kids, rake/shovel both pens, feed the wild birds, and so on. Can I get an excuse note for the house being a disaster area?
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom