What are you doing to stretch a dollar?

buckeye lady

Songster
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
Rootstown Ohio
Please share your tips for making a dollar go further.
I've been buying items that we use in larger quantities when they are on sale, coffee, TP, soap, personal care products etc.
I also started buying produce locally.
Of course planted a garden this Summer.
Did a lot more canning and freezing this year.
We've stopped buying soda and we now use powdered gatorade and ice tea mix.
I've place a basket of rags next to the paper towels in an effort to cut down on paper towel use at $1 a roll.
Started my own flock ofhens for eggs. (This has of course cost me more than buying eggs but I think of it as cheap therapy).

Drying towels and sheets outside. keeping the thrmostat set at a lower temp on cool days so the heat does not kick on so much. No potato chips or covenience packaged foods that cost so much and making my own bread instead of buying it.

I've been using the cloths line and we are installing a wood heater this year. We have knocked down dead trees on the property to burn and I visit a local food bank. This still doesn't seem like enough and I'm trying to come up with more ideas.

Would Silver Maple tree make good burning? Wanted to have a fire pit in my backyard and that UGLY silver maple tree has been zapped by lightening and high winds have really stredded it. Top heavy and bottom heavy and nothing in between. Its such a soft wood tree and one of these days we will cut it down and season it for next year. (we live in city)

I try to really watch the thermostat and hot/cold days. The utility bill can really get high! I've been walking the kids to and from school to save a few coins on gas. I only buy necessary items when they are on sale (food & clothes). We don't go to Starbucks or eat out too much.

We have been wood burning for heat in the winter. We use trees that have already fallen or trees that look like they will fall on something (like our shop)...

Also, if you have a wood heater/stove, try using that to heat leftovers or for cooking if possible.

Driving less also helps with the gas bill as I'm sure everyone is aware of.
wink.png

Buying in large quantities sometimes helps with grocery bills and such. If you live near an Amish/Mennonite community and have something to offer them, most of them are willing to trade. We have tons of black walnut trees that produce very well and have traded those for vegetables and such among other things. Also they are usually cheaper than super markets.

Quote:
Maples aren't too great for burning like an oak or hickory, but still burn well. If it's wood, it will more than likely burn. We actually have some maple firewood ourselves this year, but it isn't seasoned.

I have hung small hand towels at every sink (including the kitchen) instead of paper towels, we are using small/cheap dish towels for every day napkins and cloth napkins for large meals and holidays/company. Buying large quanities of daily use items in large pump type bottles--I seem to use less this way.. I always mark every item I buy when I start using it--this lets me know how long something will last and keeps me from running out and having to make extra trips to the store. I have picked up a few yrs of work every week--coming out of retirement--until things calm down a little. I am cooking more, making extra and freezing for another day. Last week, I made huge pots of veg. and butternut squash soup and froze four quarts of each one. It will taste good on the cooler nights. I am also using more out of our freezer/pantry since I put up alot more this yr. We are working on the coop/run. When I do dry clothes inside I leave my washroom door open to help the heat come into other rooms, same with the dishwasher--when it's finished, I open the door to let the heat and humidity fill the kitchen.. I have cut back driving--only shopping when I have a full list and not just a few items.. Shopping and errands are done on the way to and from other places/work..

Back
Top Bottom