What breed are my chickens?!

woodshouseof4

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
I’m unsure what breeds these chickens are that my mom picked up from the local feed store on sale. I’m thinking the black ones are black sex link but the golden with the white tails I’m stumped on. Any insight is much appreciated. Even if you think the black ones are different than the black sex link.

Attachments

• 26A344FA-7ED3-49FA-8780-2807333BE42B.jpeg
    26A344FA-7ED3-49FA-8780-2807333BE42B.jpeg
    625.6 KB · Views: 37
I’m unsure what breeds these chickens are that my mom picked up from the local feed store on sale. I’m thinking the black ones are black sex link but the golden with the white tails I’m stumped on. Any insight is much appreciated. Even if you think the black ones are different than the black sex link.
The gold ones look to be cinnamon queens. I have the same ones. I’m not sure about the black ones. I’ll take some pictures of mine so you can compare:)

Golden comets also look very similar to Cinnamon queens, but my guess is Cinnamon queens!

Here are my Cinnamon queens (5 weeks old)

Attachments

• F31E7B81-FDC6-4314-B4B9-5F8A6E35BB38.jpeg
    F31E7B81-FDC6-4314-B4B9-5F8A6E35BB38.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • D21BA1DE-EF5B-4E7C-9B2B-67E608F954C9.jpeg
    D21BA1DE-EF5B-4E7C-9B2B-67E608F954C9.jpeg
    854.5 KB · Views: 13
I’m unsure what breeds these chickens are that my mom picked up from the local feed store on sale....the golden with the white tails I’m stumped on.
Gold with white tail is usually a Red Sexlink. The stores and hatcheries sell them with many different names (ISA Brown, Gold Comet, Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, Gold Sexlink, Red Sexlink, etc.)

The "sexlink" part means they come from a cross of one color father and a different color mother, and the chicks hatch out with males and females being different colors. In this case, the females hatch out red/gold/brown, and the males are yellow/white at hatch. The females grow up the color you see in your chicks.

Red sexlinks are not the only possible chickens to have that coloring, but they are far more common than any of the other options. If they are indeed pullets, and they grow up to lay brown eggs, then I'm confident they are Red Sexlinks.

If they grow up to lay green eggs, they are probably Starlight Green Eggers (one type of Easter Egger, which is a catch-all term for chickens that lay blue or green eggs without belonging to any recognized pure breed.)

If they turn out to be males, then off the top of my head I can't think of what they would be.

Back
Top Bottom